SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello everyone!
    I'm new here with a simple question! Could someone please tell me where I can build a free website? Or could I use this one?! I'm a bit confused, on how to build a website--I need a site to start building! (1*2*3). Or however, could some of you please send me a link to some fabulous sites--That I can motify HTML, javascript ect on...? Please help me out, I'm home now looking a bit confused!

Thanks alot Everyone! I appreciate the hard working everyone is willing!

Take Care,
    Kimberley aka Kim
    Webdesigner--and Happily married to John as of June 28, 1985. We're TTC our first newborn. I've retired from being a lawyer recently--I just got tired, and a little lacky!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try searching for "Free Hosting" or "free Website". From there, you just need to pick through the sites(there are quite a few) and decide on one.

Are you looking for one with an HTML editor included? Or are you going to make the site with your own editor? The answer to this question will help you decide which site you have host you.

...Good Luck!

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Kimberly and welcome.

SitePoint is a great place to start.

Your question is a biggie though, and it will take probably take you a few weeks to get up to speed. After that you'll be spinning out websites like it's nobody's business

It's probably best to first clear up the idea of what a webpage is in it's simplest form. I'll divide it into two main sections : (a) Making the page & (b) Getting it online

Making the page

A webpage is really just a fairly normal text document, except you save it as a '.HTML' file instead of a '.TXT' or a '.DOC' file. In fact, you can write, edit and save a HTML document in Word or Notepad if you like. The '.HTML' bit just reminds your computer that it should use your browser to view the page rather than, say, Word or anything else.

When you write your web page document you use a reasonably easy to learn language called HTML (or Hypertext Markup Language). Most of the Web is just a huge collection of these text documents with HTML on it. You don't need special software, money or amazing talents to write HTML pages.

As a simple example of how HTML works, if I was write <B> Hello Kimberly </B> in my HTML document any browser would know that I was wanted 'Hello Kimberly' in BOLD letter like this.

Personally, I learnt to write HTML by 'playing around' with a little free program called Arachnophilia. It's just a small text editor with friendly buttons.

Although writing the HTML is an excellent, inexpensive way to learn, there are other alternatives.

Software such as Dreamweaver, Frontpage and GoLive writes all the HTML for you 'behind the scenes'. They usually cost you, but they certainly simplify things for beginners.

Also websites like Angelfire and Geocities provide you with simple web building tools and some space on their webserver. These services *do* place their own adverts on your page, but that is the reason they are a free service. This would be a good way for you to get a feel for web page design.

Getting your Page Online

The Angelfire/Geocities 'package' is a little different to the way most websites are created and uploaded. Angelfire actually combines the building tools and the webserver space, so that you design and build your page actually on the webserver (at least, that's the way it worked last time I saw it) .

In most cases, people write their HTML pages on their home computer, adding colors, text, links and graphics as they go along. However, at this stage the page is only viewable on their own PC. To make the page viewable on the web they need to 'upload' it to a webserver, which is simply a large, permanently-connected computer which is never turned off.

You may already be entitled to some free web server space as part of your ISP deal. Check with them. If you do, they will provide you with your usernames, passwords and your URL (web address).

When your page/s are finished (for now, anyway) you just need to transfer them, and any pictures you've used, to the webserver.

You do this using an FTP program. There are plenty of free FTP programs available on the web.

When your html and images are uploaded it is just a matter of typing your new URL into your browser and Voila! (assuming everything has gone to plan) ther's your web page for the world to see.

There are thousands of more things I could add but this is probably a good start for you. I'm sure others will add many of the important things I've missed.

Good Luck
    Last edited by AlexW; Mar 17, 2001 at 02:46.
    Alex Walker
    SitePoint Developer
    SitePoint - Learnable

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Kimberley
    Like Alex I also started with Arachnophilia and I can highly recommend it. Although Alex claims it's free so he must have forgotten that anyone who downloads it has to promise to have nice thoughts for a whole day (not as easy as it sounds when that day happens to be the 1 you are trying to learn html). The tutorial that comes with it puts commercial html editors to shame.
    If you decide to go the route of a wysiwyg program because you either 1) can't get to grips with html or 2) your just to inpatient, then I would recommend you look at NetObjects Fusion 5.
    If you find you enjoy html then consider dreamweaver.
    Good luck
    www.gr8-business.com
    Free software and tips to
    promote your site.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry, Ady's quite correct. Arachnophilia is in fact 'Careware'.

Paul Lutus, the programmer, has an interesting explanation of the Careware concept at http://www.arachnoid.com/careware/index.html.

It is safe to say there is certainly no financial transaction involved with the use of Arachnophilia

Alex
    Alex Walker
    SitePoint Developer
    SitePoint - Learnable

Skills to Pay the Bills Sparkie's Avatar
    A cave with 47 computers and an internet feed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Kim and welcome to SitePoint Forums! We're glad to have you here.

As a starting point to building your website, I highly recommend www.htmlgoodies.com, which is a set of HTML tutorials to help you learn more hands-on materal for building your website. I also like www.bignosebird.com (funny name, isn't it?) which has lots of add-ons and interesting tricks you can do with your site.
    Sherice Jacob - Web Improvement Expert
    Improve Website Conversions | eBook Covers
    Follow Me on Twitter!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whoa, you mean I'm not the only one to use Arachnophilia?! Sweet!

Goof
    Nathan Rutman
    A slightly offbeat creative.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome - I would recommend http://www.w3schools.com/as a good starting place. It has tutorials and explanations on a whole range of subjects, from HTML and Web Building to SOAP and XML
    http://www.stattoshop.co.uk

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Kim

Your internet provider should give you a 1,2,3

rose

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    www.revamp.net is offering free scripts with a tiny text link on the bottom instead of a banner button on it. nice uptime for his server.