SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Odd Safari ASP Problem

This site was dev'ed (on PC's) last week and went live last friday, I tested it on my home Mac over the weekend (OSX 10.3), there is usually no surprises as stuff I do is mostly valid HTML/CSS. But somehow some of the pages display a ASP error, only in Safari (all PC browsers checked out fine, IE on the mac was also fine). Today I got someone to bring in there Tibook, so the ASP guy could see if he could find and sort the problem. But the site worked fine (also running OSX 10.3), another Mac user had also checked the site at home, and had the error (He runs 10.2, cheapskate). So what's needed is a more wide range test on a variety of Mac systems to see if there is a pattern.
    site/page with asp error
    Thanks for any feedback.

P.S. the ASP error is this
    Code:
    Microsoft JET Database Engine error '80040e14' Syntax error (missing operator) in query expression 'id =ID=8cda0f74cc4529628cf/asp-include-files/jobfile-side_inc.asp,line 14

Drupaler bronze trophy greg.harvey's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Always put your error in to Google in quotes. You usually get an answer straight away!

I strongly suspect the Mac thing is a red herring. ASP, by definition, is server-side, so the client browser simply cannot affect it.

Go through these possibilities and come back if it's none of them:

http://www.adopenstatic.com/faq/80040e14.asp

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Humm! can't realy see anything, possibly the '3a' one. But this query doesn't include any 'ilegal charicters, just straight text. I am not the ASP/DB dev just a HTML designer. Here is the straight ASP for the section if it's any help
    Code:
                <%
    	  Set rrs = Server.CreateObject("adodb.recordset")
    	  count = 0
    	  for i = 1 to request.cookies.count
    	  	If request.cookies(i) <> "" Then
    			count = count+1
    	  		'response.write request.cookies(i) & "<br />"
    			rrs.Open "Select * from [vacancies] where id = " & request.cookies(i) &"", conn
    			If not rrs.eof then
    	  %>
                <h2><%= rrs("position") %></h2>
                <p><a href="vacancy.asp?vID=<%= rrs("id") %>" class="FeatureLink">Salary: <%= rrs("benefits") %></a></p>
                <%	
    	  		End If	
    			rrs.close	
    		End If
    	  next
    	  If count > 0 then
    	  %><br />
                <P><a href="apply-jobfile.asp" >View / Apply</a></P>

<% end if %>

Drupaler bronze trophy greg.harvey's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Difficult to tell what you're trying to achieve from this snippet, but it seems a funny way of doing things... perhaps. Anyway, that aside, could it be that VBS (ASP) is treating your ID integer as a string sometimes and that's upsetting it? I would try adding CInt around anything referring to the cookie value:

CInt(request.cookies(i))
    etc.

Might be your problem. You have to be careful with the different types of data.