User Tag List

Thread: Ikea

High fives all round! bradley317's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy Ikea

Yesterday, I went to IKEA. It must have been about a year now, since my last visit, as that's generally the time it takes for me to forget just how bad it is.

My girlfriend insisted that we needed a new 'unit', whatever the hell that is. So, off we go to our nearest circle of hell (warrington).

I have two main problems with IKEA as follows...

Firstly, everything they sell is really bad. Some people will argue 'yeah, but it's cheap' but that doesn't make it right as far as I'm concerned. Personally, I'd rather have one good thing, than ten rubbish ones.

Secondly, the whole place is designed for people with absolutely no taste / imagination. I hate the way you are forced to shuffle around the faux bedrooms and kitchens, trying to find bits and bobs that might look nice in your own home (wow! modern art for just £9!), as if you'd have no chance were it not to have been kindly arranged in context.

I don't know why I decided to share this with you.
    Hello, hello, what's all this shouting?
    We'll have no trouble here

(Helping a pal... http://www.funkdub.info)

I am obstructing justice. bronze trophy fatnewt's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nono... you have to replace all your furniture. Then it works just fine. You'll see.
    Colin Temple [twitter: @cailean]
    Web Analyst at Napkyn

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've had a number of good IKEA experiences. The first was two years ago, when I wanted a loft bed; I picked out the very nice and very cheap "Gulliver." It hasn't caused a problem since, and makes my room seem a good deal bigger.

We've also occaisonally gone to IKEA for smaller stuff—desks, end tables, lamps, et cetera—and most of it has been pretty good. Before the end of the year we're probably going to get some IKEA tables and chairs for our newly renovated basement.

Personally, I've found both of your points to be present in the reverse.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i see where you are coming from, but have to point out that ikea doesn't market toward the pottery barn crowd (in the u.s.). they don't focus on showing you a 'room' or 'decoration' but the actual products with the freedom to be as creative as possible with them. it fits into the female way of shopping, we have to sift through things to mix and match before we find what we like. men don't shop this way. i myself, being a woman, love ikea and the prices they offer. now, if i had the money, i would probably shop at pottery barn or ethan allen instead.

Don't get too close, I bite! Nicky's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hell is Ikea in Warrington!

I bought some wardrobes from them, only because I have an unmeasurable amount of clothes and needed somewhere large enough to store them all. They are great in that you can buy the wardrobes, doors, handles and interiors separately so at least you can mix and match. They are awful in that everything is made to be modular so that you get the wrong number of screws and are always missing some.

Ikea is allright for some things. I totally dislike people with no imagination though who furnish their houses to resemble Ikea showrooms.

Flower in a frame, anyone?

The short answer is yes... Herbster's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bradley317
    My girlfriend insisted that we needed a new 'unit'

OK. OK. I'm leaving...

..back with a vengeance... Ingoal's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hehe...I guess (almost) everyone that bought something at IKEA had the same experience (missing parts) at least once...nontheless I still love their cabinets ("Billy") and that's why I bought them again and again...
    Advisor - Community Team
    CHD-magician + + =
    Some of my sites: [1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10]
    Newest site: ZZ.GD - t dsn't gt mch shrtr thn tht

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wish I had IKEA here! Don't complain ...

When I was living in Europe, IKEA was just a good place to get cheap stuff you'd only need for 1-2 years as a student, but now I'm living in Asia for more than 5 years and wish I had an IKEA shop here ...

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ahhh the wonders of disposable furniture. Used to be all into that a while ago. Now I want oak, not some MDF particle board thing with oak printed paper glued to it.

However, at the nearest IKEA to here they have two floors. In fact, the IKEA store is larger than the 750,000 square foot shopping mall it is next to. On the top floor they have the rooms and such set up. On the bottom floor they have accessories such as plants, flatware, glassware and trinkets. We only shop the bottom floor.

Now here is where you find your bargains. We tend to get stuff that we need a bunch of like a box of six 32 ounce beer mugs for $6.00. Great for parties and you don't care as much if one gets accidently broken.

Never really cared for the furniture. Personally prefer things along the lines of American Mission Style or Colonial style. Heck if there was an Amish furniture store nearby, I would furnish my whole house from there.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

SitePoint Evangelist mdew_junkie's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anybody remember the movie Fight Club where Ed Norton Jr. rips on Ikea and the fact that all his furniture is from there?

Don't get me wrong, I have bought stuff at Ikea and am satisfied with what I got, but am always reminded of that scene when I think of them...

Don't get too close, I bite! Nicky's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Ikea in the UK is the same, great for plants and glasses, some ones too.

Personally, not only do I prefer Oak, but if it has a mahogany veneer then even better, I have a liking for dark furniture at the moment.

Oh, the other good thing that Ikes sells are those basic frames. Unfortunately, people are far too unimaginative to do anything but hang them up with mass produced prints they buy at Ikea too. I like them because I can experiment with them and if it all goes wrong they never cost that much in the first place. My latest craze is to paint them, sand them down, and paint them some more.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any furniture built with solid wood will probably last a lot longer than any Ikea garbage. Around here, US, all I see are bits and pieces of broken Ikea furniture glued together with duct tape. IN the long run you could probably save thousands buying quality furniture.

Antiques are good too, although they only have a 10% return over 10 years.

High fives all round! bradley317's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only good thing about IKEA furniture is that you eventually get to destroy it when you buy a decent replacement. It really is pretty bad, and the fact that you have to build it yourself is just insulting.

The price is hard to argue with, but there are millions of other cheap stores that don't claim to be 'selling a lifestyle'.

One other thing that annoys me. As a result of hiking around a filthy warehouse, you end up getting really thirsty. Thankfully, IKEA think about this by offering a range of exciting refreshments at the end, the price of which basically erases any savings that you have made in the first place.
    Hello, hello, what's all this shouting?
    We'll have no trouble here

(Helping a pal... http://www.funkdub.info)

I am obstructing justice. bronze trophy fatnewt's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The fact that you have to build a shelf or desk by yourself means that you can carry it home yourself in a small car and not have to pay for delivery or anything like that, or worry about getting it into a small apartment, for example. Some people prefer that. I wouldn't call it insulting.

You pay for the quality you get. Nobody's making you shop there. Want something better? Pay for it somewhere else.
    Colin Temple [twitter: @cailean]
    Web Analyst at Napkyn

web designer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In the town where I live there is a workshop of craftsmen who make high quality wooden furniture (bookcases, dressers, chests, wardrobes etc)

We have commissioned a couple of peices from them, and despite the common misconceptions, getting good quality hand made furniture isnt all that expensive. We got a tall bookcase, made with some sort of light wood (elm? dunno) made and delivered within two weeks for a smidge under £200.

Yes you can go to Ikea and get one to do the same job for £100, but the individuality of a piece, added to the effect it has on the economy to constantly spend with foriegn businesses means my preference will always be to buy as I do now.

Wanna-be Apple nut silver trophy M. Johansson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bradley, your complaints about IKEA reminds me of a girl that went into a beer tent with me and said "Why don't they have any wine here?". I kinda prefer wine to beer as well, but... well...

IKEA is, well, IKEA. It's cheap, modular and they sell really cheap hot dogs. That's their thing. They don't sell things in oak, because furniture built in solid oak is not so cheap and really hard to cram into a tiny cardboard box.

If you are a solid oak furniture person, IKEA will probably dissapoint you.
    Mattias Johansson
    Short, Swedish, Web Developer

Buttons and Dog Tags with your custom design:
    FatStatement.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ikea furniture serves its purpose I suppose. When I moved out of parents, my fiancee and I went to Ikea and spent around £300 on some furniture, crockery, cultery and glasses. The stuf is pretty good for how mcu it costs, well the crockery. And this unit that we have holds all the video and audio stuff quite nicely TV fits perfectly...
    There is no point in complaining as it is not fantastic but it is affordable and better the Argos cack........

Solid Oak furniture would be very nice too
    Baz
    ---

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually I personally really like IKea. Their products have a high quality, I have never had a problem, and they look nice, not to mention the low price.

FreeBSD The Power to Serve silver trophy pippo's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought from them some `libraries' to put my books, they were of the Bonde series (I needed more deep than Billy's series).
    I'm happy with that.

I also bought a dekstop with a glass on it.
    Really disappointed by the quality of the desktop,
    also the glass was not rounded well.
    I returned it the day after and they gave to me back the money.

That desktop was not listed in their catalogue, and when I returned to Ikea in the next months I never saw it anymore!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe that they are building an IKEA store in SoFL and it has caused some controversy as the nearby residents don't want it because of increased traffic, people, blah blah blah.

IKEA makes decent stuff. I got most of my furniture from Design Within Reach - http://www.dwr.com. A bit pricey, but their furniture is modern, well built and nice!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seen the Pikea animations on weeble and bob?
    Sean Spurr @ Incka Limited
    Fun Games - put games on your site GamesForYourWebsite.com!
    Sites:ABCDEFGHIJ

SitePoint Evangelist jimday1982's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Talking

You guys that hate on IKEA are nuts. If you have any design capability at all, you can deck your place out (and have it look really nice, not cheap) for practically nothing. My apartment looks like something out of a crate and barrel catalog and gets me tons of action .
    Jimmy Day
    Senior Systems Analyst
    Piedmont Healthcare Corporation

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My wife loves Ikea. We don't buy the furniture so much but she is into the accessories like vases, pillows, etc. We do own a couple chairs with ottomans that are very comfy.

We are surrounded by Amish country here. We can have furniture custom made from old barn wood for not much more than the laminate junk from Ikea. It's beautiful! We have a few rooms totally furnished with barn wood furniture!
    Last edited by LeoWebDesign; Aug 13, 2004 at 01:09.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really hate IKEA. My gf loves it.

The good thing about this cheap furniture is that you just dump it after a couple of years and get new stuff. So you don't have to sit in that really expensive couch for the next 15 years, which really gets boring.

But putting it together is hell.
    Getting a refund is hell.

And they're so crowded, it looks like some families go to IKEA just like a daytrip instead of going to the zoo or something.

I pay money NOT to go there.

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy Tailslide's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just go for the meatballs!
    Little Blue Plane Web Design
    Blood, Sweat & Rust - A Land Rover restoration project