SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am going to attempt to create mysql database to display a list of images with text

If I created this database in say excel can the data be easily uploaded into the mysql table. It seems to me that initially if this can be done it would be easier for someone unfamiliar with entering directly into the mysql database.

I have looked at a couple of tutorials. Would anyone recommend any others
    Know about - "Building a Database-Driven Web Site Using PHP and MySQL by Kevin Yank" http://www.webmasterbase.com/article.php?aid=228&pid=0
    and
    Speaking SQL http://www.devshed.com/Server_Side/MySQL/Speak/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Graham

First reference: The SitePoint members are always here for you.

I have a book called MySql by Paul DuBois that has more information than I may ever need, and the examples to go with it. It is often cited as THE source. It has two tutorials than thread (not a play on words) through the tutorial section with both command examples and results with lots of caution when working at the command line level.

The wrox book on php4 has a tutorial. And naturally there are good examples of use of php4 in and around the data base.

To move from another db : There is a batch load capability. I have used this for shops, address, phone, etc. The exactness of the command must be followed. But once the exact structure was generated, the load took maybe .04 seconds for about 1500 data cells. There are two locations where this is discussed in the DuBois book. The LOAD DATA and LOAD DATA LOCAL are the commands to look for in the index.

I do not want to mislead. My input was from a comma delimited file. I think for most dbs you can export a comma delimited file.

Another thing is the constant ref to use a file reference to an external *.gif or *.jpg file rather than having the sql move the bits. But if you want them in the sql, there is the "blob", ready to go.

If you do not have the database yet, I would suggest providing it in mysql.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by edshuck; Mar 15, 2001 at 13:54.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Ed

If you do not have the database yet, I would suggest providing it in mysql.
    I don't have one but my computer dumb brain thinks that if I could input the items into a table where I see what I just put in that it would be easier.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you should be able to type it up in Excel, then export it as comma or tab de-limited. That should work just fine!
    Adobe Certified Coldfusion MX 7 Developer
    Adobe Certified Advanced Coldfusion MX Developer
    My Blog (new) | My Family | My Freelance | My Recipes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Graham and Creole

I am sure that will work and in fact I am doing that for a project and when it runs I will pass that information on to you.

peace

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I found a really nice GUI for MySQL. It seems to me that if you can use Excel you can use this. It is called MySQL Front

http://www.mysql.com/Downloads/Win32/mysqlfront.zip

Jason
    ><>

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I were you, I would just use phpMyAdmin (most hosts have it or something similar running on their server), and if not enter the data through that, then use it to upload a comma delimited file. Its really really easy, it has a wizard and everything.
    Have fun with it, you're embarking on a great quest (to learn php ... you will soon have many sleepless nights, and serious bleary-eye )

... what's the world coming to?