SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello.

I've to explain the difference between Dreamweaver (version 4) and FrontPage.

My problem is that I never work with FP.

Could anyone explain me?

Thank you:::::::::::::::

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not exactly sure what differences you are looking for or whether you are explaining this for a class or for business.

Are you needing to know differences such as features, pro's & con's, usability?

I'll try to give a few examples, but I'm sure that others can give plenty...

Usability - Frontpage is primarily designed for beginners whereas DW4 is more for advanced programmers. Both are of course WYSIWYG editors. I use both but I don't consider myself a beginner though.

Features:
    FrontPage - One big thing that FP has is FP extensions...this allows you to publish, create forms (email), and several other things. It offers Normal, HTML, Preview modes to view your work. FP Extensions are good to a point, but they can severely limit other web site functions that can't be enabled due to the fact that you have FP Exts. installed. Also, offers themes (which can be spotted a mile away).

Dreamweaver - Has floating toolbars (and many toolbars at that!) Has Code view, Code/Design View (split screen), and Design view. This is a very handy feature. Obviously works well with Flash and other macromedia products. Both have site map abilities. I find that DW's "find & replace" function is so much better than FP's. Another big plus is that DW is helpful with Server Side Includes (SSI).

Well, I'll let someone else continue the differences. Hope some of this helped.
    Joseph Schell
    AMICO-Online

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The advanced programmer would find dreamweaver more useful, php and coldfusion coding is easier while using dreamweaver, as you can instruct it to never modify your code no matter what error it could find.

At a very beginning migrating from frontpage to dreamweaver could be difficult because frontpage is more windows-like, toolspars, menus and such, dreamweaver is more customizable and can be expanded via javascript, but the floating toolbars and the menu order can be a little confusing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh my goodness, here we go again!

Simply put, Dreamweaver is designed to be an all-in-one tool for Web development. It addresses more complex issues with built in components such as Javascript effects among others.

FrontPage, as defined by Microsoft, is meant to compliment the suite of Office products. It enables users familiar with Office to be able to create or contribute to an intranet or Internet site. Although, a lot can be done with it, it was never designed as an all-in-one or hardcore programming tool. Microsoft created the suite Visual tools for full-featured programing and development.
    Westmich
    Smart Web Solutions for Smart Clients
    http://www.mindscapecreative.com

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi.

I need to know the difference because I've to explain this for a class. And because I've never worked with Front Page here is the post.

Thank you for your answers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My main beef with FP (and I'm supprised no one said it) is that it automatically edits code. If you simply open an HTML doc in FP that was written in notepad, it will go through and edit your code to make it FP complient (which of course is IE complient while not being NS complient). Dreamweaver will not do this. It will not edit any code except what is created itself in Dreamweaver. Microsoft made the mistake of assuming it knew what web designers wanted better than the designers. I've found this problem to cause me headaches with 80% of my experience with FP, which is why, I might add, I try to stay away from it at all costs.

Hope this helps...good luck with the class,
    Goof
    Nathan Rutman
    A slightly offbeat creative.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Goof
    My main beef with FP (and I'm supprised no one said it) is that it automatically edits code. If you simply open an HTML doc in FP that was written in notepad, it will go through and edit your code to make it FP complient (which of course is IE complient while not being NS complient). Dreamweaver will not do this. It will not edit any code except what is created itself in Dreamweaver. Microsoft made the mistake of assuming it knew what web designers wanted better than the designers. I've found this problem to cause me headaches with 80% of my experience with FP, which is why, I might add, I try to stay away from it at all costs.

Hope this helps...good luck with the class,
    Goof
    This is only true if you enable that option. Since I prefer to write most of my own code, I don't allow FP to edit it.
    Westmich
    Smart Web Solutions for Smart Clients
    http://www.mindscapecreative.com

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello all.

Dreamweaver will not do this. It will not edit any code except what is created itself in Dreamweaver
    I've to disagreed with you. Dreamweaver reads code that wasn't made on it.

Thank you
    Last edited by magi; Mar 22, 2001 at 12:48.