Results 1 to 3 of 3
Aug 7, 2004, 13:23 #1
- Join Date
- Jun 2003
- Ho Chi Minh City Vietnam
- 0 Post(s)
- 0 Thread(s)
mysql installation - dazed and confused
For the last two days, I've been all over the net trying to get some answers to the following questions (see info below).
1. Why can't I use the Start > Accessories > Command Prompt to
communicate with mysql
2. The book states that a successful install will present the user with both 'test' and 'mysql' databases; however all I have is a 'test' dbase
3. mySQLAdmin reads 'MyODBC Not Found Driver 3.5', is this a critical
4. The 'mysql.exe' allows me access to the 'test' database, but how
come I can't access the database using 'mysqld-nt.exe'? Isn't it the
console I am trying to install?
It certainly isn't as simple as the book makes it out to be. I would greatly appreciate somebody throwing me a rope.
Thanxs in Advance: Last Radius
I have been following along in Yank's book on Database Driven Websites, but the installation instructions are for earlier versions of PHP/MYSQL.
I am trying to configure php 4.3.8 and mysql 4.0.20d on XP PRO (IIS 5.1). The WinMySQLAdmin 1.4 has created a my.ini file, so I haven't had to manually configure the file - as K.Yank outlined in the book.
Okay, so I come to the section where I am told to open a command prompt (Start > Accessories > Command Prompt) and type the following commands:
This command is supposed to successfully install MySQL as a system service; however, none of these commands (below) work:
C:\Documents and Settings\Big Dog>C:\mysql\bin>mysqld-nt --install
... not recoginizes as an internal or external command ...
C:\Documents and Settings\Big Dog> cd C:\mysql\bin>mysqld-nt --install
The system cannot find the path specified
In mySQLAdmin 1.4 ... I have the following info:
Environment: MyODBC Not Found Driver 3.51
Server Info and Client Info 4.0.20a-nt
Host Info localhost via TCP/IP
Start Check With regards to the my.ini everything reads 'OK' or 'yes'
my.ini Setup: Server=C/mysql/bin/mysqld-nt.exe
Err File: Nothing Listed
Database: I only have a test database, and not a mysql database
I can communicate with the 'test' database using the 'mysql.exe' and sucessfully created a table, however, when I open mysqld-nt.exe I am presented with a blank screen and I am unable to enter a command prompt - the window soon after automatically closes.
Once again thanks alot for the HELP!
Jan 4, 2005, 13:51 #2
1. Make sure the "mysql\bin" directory is in the classpath or systempath however you organise your paths. Mine is as %MYSQL_HOME%\bin in "environment vars".
2. mysql database will exist regardless - it is the permissions. To use, log in as 'root' and type use mysql
3. No I'm the same
4. mysqld-nt.exe is the service for running with windowsnt as a windows service. To communicate with the server use mysql.exe
Jan 4, 2005, 13:53 #3Originally Posted by lastradius
Good old windows has problems when you directly specify the program in the same argument as the path. *Sigh* reboots to Linux.