SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    chown linux:users\ /world Hartmann's Avatar
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am guessing that there will be patches to fix some of the current problems I am hearing about SP2. The main ones are hardware not working and comps freezing...

He's No Good To Me Dead silver trophybronze trophy stymiee's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I'm curious as to what you've heard. (Downloading sp2 now).

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stymiee
    I'm curious as to what you've heard. (Downloading sp2 now).
    Well, I received a phone call from a friend who I respect a lot this morning and he said he thought he found a memory leak in the upgrade and that he thought it was causing his machine to freeze completely when booted. I had read some other similiar reports on other message boards so I am going to wait a while till I download it.

He's No Good To Me Dead silver trophybronze trophy stymiee's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Deleting now

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmmm.... Haven't had any memory leaks except that Firefox likes to suck memory right before it crashes. This morning it was up to 200 MBs before it crashed.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I keep a full backup of my drive so I bit the bullet and installed it this morning. It went well apart from three rather amusing things.

1) The built in windows firewall decided it was a good idea to firewall my iPod because it was connecting to the "1334 network", I had to unfirewall it to allow it to communicate with iTunes.

2) I'm upto date with all the updates before Sp2, when I installed sp2 the automatic update thing that is included decided for some reason that I needed the Doomjuice removal tool as an update and it downloaded. I have no idea what it did with this tool after it downloaded it. I can't find it and since it's not really an update I don't really know what it was doing. I was never prompted for this before and I have Virus scan running which security center acknowedges, so no idea why it thought I needed this, and hardly useful downloading it and then not letting me know how to run it.

3) I have about 500 files and icons on my desktop since I installed the service pack the top left icon seemed to be lots oof icons overlapping each other and they would flicker between different ones, once I arranged by name, this disappeared and all is good again.

Garlic bread, I've tasted it, it's the future

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well an update about my friend, he informed me today that he was running XP without SP1 installed. So he was basically relying on SP2 to fill in all of the holes that SP1 had. I am guessing that this is his problem... I told him to uninstall and install SP1 first.
    Last edited by Hartmann; Aug 11, 2004 at 09:33.

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That would definitely do it... SP2 does not include SP1, or else it would be almost half a gigabyte instead of a quarter.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hasn't this been on Windows Update for a few weeks now? I got it back in July. Seems fine so far, securit center doesn't recognise and Symantec software.
    Mike
    It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Run LiveUpdate and download the WMI (Windows Management Instrumentation) update. The update will repair the way Symantec products report their status; after installation the security center should display the system status correctly.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does anyone have a date when MS are going to release the final SP2?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Windows XP Service Pack 2 will be officially released to Automatic Updates clients on 8.16.2004—just five days away, now.

» Full Rollout Schedule @ Ensight

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperFunZoo
    Does anyone have a date when MS are going to release the final SP2?
    Yes, they started a staged rollout on Friday August 6th, 2004. If you want to upgrade now, then you need to set your computer up for automatic upgrades using the System control panel and when your region (as determined by IP address) is selected for upgrade, then your computer will download and install the upgrade.

If you are a member of MSDN, the Microsoft Beta Testing team or a Premiere customer you would have had an opportunity to install it over the weekend. Rollouts for those using release candidate versions started today.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good news.
    Thank's for the info guys.

For those of you who have tried the SP2 already. Is it good and stable? What's is good and what is bad?

I'm just curious.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've found everything to be rock-solid in terms of stability, and much faster than my system was under Windows XP Service Pack 1A.

Just to rephrase what I've said previously, the new security center, new firewall, and new wireless networking tools are excellent. The latter is something I especially appreciated, because my computer gets its only Internet connection via WiFi.

Microsoft did a great job on this.

Original Gangster silver trophy Thing's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I found an interesting quirk about SP2.

I have a little program that when I run it shows me my product key for XP Pro. We have a volume license key, so when I rebuild computers I always have to use the same product key. Well after installing SP2 my product key has changed. I'm not sure if SP2 either blocks the viewing and therefore shows some default code, or if SP2 actually changed my product key.

Anyone else experience this?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Has any done a roll-back on SP2? If so how smooth was it? I think I will have to do that, as I can't get this VPN working.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nope... Haven't had any problems with SP2 to tell you the truth.

All you have to do though is go back to the restore point before you installed it and it will be like it was never installed.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In theory of course.

I read an article where the uninstall removed SP1 as well. I read another article where the uninstall remove all installed components!

However I ran the uninstall and everything looks back to normal. Whenver they patch/upgrade my VPN then I will reinstall.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd rather go back to windows 98 than upgrade to SP2. It limits the TCP/IP connections, which makes almost all p2p programs unusable.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mongoloid
    I read an article where the uninstall removed SP1 as well. I read another article where the uninstall remove all installed components!
    Notice, I didn't say "uninstall"... I said "revert to restore point". They work differently.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shad0w
    I'd rather go back to windows 98 than upgrade to SP2. It limits the TCP/IP connections, which makes almost all p2p programs unusable.
    Have Fun.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    im having problems with freezing too... and im not even overloading my computer. ill have 1 browser window open and it will decide to freeze. for no apparent reason. it happened about 3 times yesterday and 1 time so far 2day.

any reports on how to fix this? (u know, they really should work out all the bugs before they release it)

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i just thought i would add, i absolutely hate the new security center, its so annoying! lol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by W. Luke
    Have Fun.
    You do, of course, realize that Windws XP Service Pack 3 (should there be one) will require Service Pack 2; Longhorn will most likely implement all of SP2's enhancements. You're going to be stuck in the bronze age of computing for quite some time.

Quote Originally Posted by Claiken
    i just thought i would add, i absoutely hate the new security center, its so annoying! lol
    Hmm... I personally don't see what's annoying about a component that verifies the functionality of the three cornerstones of digital security. It may be redundant to us nerds, but it won't be to the majority of Windows XP users; furthermore, even nerds can appreciate redundancy.