SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It'd be nice if more hosts would install PHP5 in addition to PHP4. The vast majority wouldn't take advantage of PHP5, but developers certainly would, and it would help speed along the adoption process.

Though while I'm wishing for things...

Mlle. Ledoyen silver trophy seanf's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by David C
    It'd be nice if more hosts would install PHP5 in addition to PHP4.
    This won't happen until PHP5 is supported in cPanel. As soon as it is, you will see it everywhere. This is what happened with MySQL 4

Sean
    Harry Potter

-- You lived inside my world so softly
    -- Protected only by the kindness of your nature

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brak
    Since when does PHP5 break PHP3/4 applications? I'll admit I haven't had a lot of time to look into PHP5, I'm waiting until either my host, or most hosts upgrade so I wont be writing apps in an unsupported language.
    There are a lot of scripts out there with code that doesn't work in PHP5. One of the big problems is programmers who re-assign "$this" inside an object. SquirrelMail 1.5, for instance, does this, and thus doesn't work with PHP5 (much to my chagrin!). I also can't seem to get PHPNuke to work with PHP5. Just to name two prominent apps in use today.

Cheers
    --Dan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our host is stuck with older versions of MySQL and PHP because of cpanel. Well, probably not PHP in this case, but the point is that without an absolute guarantee that newer versions won't break things, I don't really want my host to move forward on their production systems.

This is a real concern. We had working applications that suddenly failed because of a minor upgrade to MySQL. It took us a day to fix that because we had no foreknowledge of this particular "upgrade".

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't be too worried about PHP Nuke in regards to PHPversion 5

Much like OS Commerce, PHP Nuke is going to have this much trouble moving onto a newer PHP build, it isn't really going to be worth the bother.

In this event, your better of developing for and implementing a newer, modern framework such as WACT or Mojavi for example.

PHPversion 3 designated applications remain in the past, preferably dead and buried much like NS4.x in my view

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yea, when PHP5 came out I installed it on my localhost... Then I wanted to use it on a production run.

Of course, my host wasn't going to upgrade anytime soon, so I decided to buy a dedicated server from them, installed php 5 and postgres (they didn't have that either) and opened up a small hosting site...

I think it might be a little bit on the early side to make an upgrade... I remember PHP 5.0.0 had a pretty bad bug in it that prevented HTTP authetication.

My opinion, PHP applications should start being developed correctly and should work with magic_quotes_gpc off and register_globals off...

I know I didn't have any problem with upgrading to php5, I didn't have to do any maintenance on my scripts built using php4...

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I finally signed up for a VPS and omg all I can say is "Freeeeedoooooom"!

So far I've installed PHP5, Postgres 7.4.5, libxml2.6.10, Apache 1.3.31, MySQL 4.1 and enabled the mysqli extension. I'm in heaven right now. Even with the low-end plan that I have my response times are faster than my current shared host.

If you are curious you can check out my new machine at http://65.254.63.68/ and http://65.254.63.68/phpinfo.php Just keep in mind my site is far from finished and it looks a lot better under Firefox, I'm still working on getting the fonts and colors right for IE5/6.

Once I do more testing and am thoroughly satisifed I will switch my domain over. I'm hard at work on a Postgres+PHP5 project and eagerly awaiting Postgres 8.0.

I wish I hadn't waited so long to try a VPS. It takes more administration knowledge than a shared hosting plan but that's good for you. I've already learned a lot about securing Apache.

For anyone interested I went with a company that uses Virtuozzo instead of UML. With UML you are responsible for keeping your kernel up to date which is something I don't mind doing at home but it's not something I want to worry about with my VPS.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you want a host with PHP5+PHP4 running, you could take a look at TextDrive. Here is a forum post about their upgrade plans: http://www.textdrive.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=826

I'm currently running a PHP5 test on localhost, will be good once I've got hosting to match!

Douglas
    Hello World

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Likewise

Shouldn't be too long now though, as more and more folks are moving to PHPversion 5 it seams, which is good for PHP.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    PHP4 wasn't widely accepted by hosts until around v4.1.2. A VPS/UML/ded server is your best bet, either that or setup a test subdomain and point the DNS to your local machine and experiment there.

Thinking about Visual Thinking
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just to inform you that my German ISP offers both PHP 4.3.8 (.php) and PHP 5.0.1 (.php5) since September of this year. The avenue is being explored ... ;-)