User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Computer freezes

My Computer freezes frequently.
    Now with win me but did it also with win 98se;
    no pattern;can be ok for 1 hour of use and then suddenly freeze.
    No virus detected and spyware checked regularly.
    What are some general steps to check on this type of problem?

Thanks

I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaack! Fluffykins's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your first step is going to be to look for your Error Log and System Log, often called errorlog.txt or something similar and usually found in your Windows folder or in the root of the C: drive.

That should keep a list of errors and/or events and if you look at this just after a system crash - the one that's just made your system crash should be near the end and show up. If you need some help finding your error and system logs to try and work out what's going on Microsoft offer a free utility to view them at: http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...N-US/logvu.exe

Hopefully once you've gotten some info from these you'll be able to work out what's going on and making it crash. If you see some odd-looking error messages in the logs it might be worth looking online to see if anyone else has experienced anything similar.

Hope that helps, at least a bit.

Ady
    v-technologies - Freelance Goodness.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    computer freeze is often related to memory.

Get a memory check here:

http://memtest86.com

If this checks out ok try re-seating your memory or even checking you have enough RAM to run the programs.

Does the computer freeze during certain activty such as intensive CPU demands? If so, you could check for the temp of your CPU. Right after a freeze reboot via reset and enter BIOS....if its in the range of >70 you may need a new heatsink and fan.

Scan well for viruses or trojans. get hijackthis and make a log. Check out the log or post it here in att txt format so i can read it. What virus program do you have installed? Run a HDD check to see if it's working ok.

see if any of thjs helps.