SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Double Click closed its Australian office yesterday.
    The interesting part is that Double Click had around 16% of the Australian advertisin on line internet market ans were running at a profit.
    My guess might be that Double Click is predicting things to get worse in the net advertising game and may be moving to sonsolidate itself ahead of further dropps in advertising rates.
    Your opinion please?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think your probably right. There's also a lot of preasure on them to continue to maintain a profitable business. I'm pretty sure they broke even for the first time in the forth quarter of last year. If ad revenue begins to fall in order to maintain a profitable business model theyre going to have to cut costs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shame that has to happen. It would be good to get some more big Internet companies down here in Australia. Would be good for the economy and for people such as myself who will be looking for full time work shortly in the IT industry!

I did hear that Red Hat is planning to open a branch in Brisbane some time in the future. That should be good!
    Brad Culbert
    SQL Server 2005 Books
    www.SQLServer2005Books.com - Reader-rated SQL Server 2005 Books

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you finding the IT industry in OZ, more crowded than the US/Europe?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am not sure about the US/Europe as I have not attempted to attain work in either of these places. But I am hopeful of getting a good job straight out of University judging by the number of positions posted to us by the UNI.

Companies approach my University when they need staff and the UNI emails out the job opening to upcoming graduates. They most likely have some special deals going with the companies to recruite graduates if they can offer students with knowledge in particular areas.

I did hear a rumour, and I can not back this up with any evidence, that companies such as Microsoft and others are trying to provide cheap training as a way to flood the market with talent. This will in turn drive salaries down as there is so many people with the required skills. Hope this isn't the case, as it will make it harder to find a job as well!
    Brad Culbert
    SQL Server 2005 Books
    www.SQLServer2005Books.com - Reader-rated SQL Server 2005 Books

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know this is getting off topic but we've recently been approached by several Indian development companies offering really cheap software design services.

Given that their prices are less than 10% of a UK consultancy theyre bound to have a negative effect on salary levels.

Admin > feel free to want to move this posting to a more related thread.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah, the effects of global trade...

Yes, many software houses and other IT firms consistently oiutsource portions of their development to Russia or India. Both of these countries have knowledgeable IT staff, and both offer labor at a far lower rate than those of us who are lucky enough to live in highly developed nations.
    Czar - Former SitePoint Alumni

Want to make more money from your website?
    Join Geek/Talk to find out how!