SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi, I'll try to make this brief:

I have two databases, one that resides on a private network and is of a proprietary nature, and the other a MySQL database on a web server.

The proprietary database currently is updated in one of two ways: 1) customers make a purchase and their mailing/billing information is automatically fed into the database, and 2) customer information is manually entered into the database from sheets that the customers fill out by hand and submit. Among other things, this database keeps track of the customer's purchases. The database is also used to generate snail-mail mailings of brochures and the like.

The MySQL database is updated using PHP when a web site user signs up for our mailing list.

Somehow I need to combine the two databases whenever we want to do a mailing. We definitely want to maintain the ability for our web site users to sign up online. And yet we can't really change anything with respect to the proprietary database. Further, there's no way we can write directly to the proprietary database from the web site (trust me on that). :-)

As bad as it sounds, here's what I'm thinking:

1) Include in the upload to the web database the unique record ID from the proprietary database
    2) Treat any record in the web database that DOESN'T have anything in that uploaded ID field as a new record.
    3) Dump the new records from the web database to the proprietary database.
    4) Clear the web database.
    5) Dump the newly updated proprietary database back into the web database.

Is this crazy? Am I being stupid? This is a fairly sizable database, but there isn't so much activity on the web site that I'm overly concerned about users trying to sign up online while I'm running this process.

I realize this might not be enough information to fully understand what I'm trying to accomplish, but I'm hoping somebody can share some insights on this. Thanks!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am unfamiliar with mySQL, but what type of database is the propriatery one?
    Westmich
    Smart Web Solutions for Smart Clients
    http://www.mindscapecreative.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not sure, off the top of my head. It's kind of a clunker though. It might even be Revelation-based.