SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Hybrid View

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you think programming for 800x600 is the way to go these days, or is it safe to program for higher resolutions?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    According to Websnapshot (http://websnapshot.mycomputer.com/monitorres.html), 800x600 is still most popular with online users at 50.4%. 1024x768 comes in second at 28.5%.

1152 x 864 and 1280 x 1024 together only make up 6% of online users. Which is still less than the 6.3% who still surf at 640x480 (for some inexplicable reason!).

If you ask me it's not worth ignoring 50.4% of of your potential visitors. Then again, it all depends of your target market. If your site is oriented towards wealthier surfers then I would go ahead, but if you're targeting middle or low income surfers I would stick to 800x600 (possibly even going down to 640x480 if you're targeting low income users).

But that's just what I think...

Freelance Web Designer KeithMcL's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If 50.4% of all internet users are still viewing on an 800x600 resolution then you would be crazy to ignore them.

I always design for an 800x600 resolution and will continue to do so for a long time to come.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I still make sure that my websites aren't too bad on 640x480 - even if only about 4% of my visitors use it.

I usually base my design on 800x600 because it is the most popular but I still try to accomodate the 640x480's.

Even though I usually browse in 1152x864

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you have to note, however that some people have ICQ, MS-toolbox or other programs at the side, taking up space...

i aim for 640x480, but i usually end up somewhere around 700,
    but i make sure i am below 800 instead of at 800

Procrastinator Extraordinaire lucas's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1024x768 is too small for most people with a 15 or 17 inch monitor, looks better at 19, but until those suckers come down in price most people can't afford them. I'm thinking 800x600 is going to be the standard for a looooong time.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i would agree with lucas...800x600 is the current standard for developing pages. until the 19" monitor becomes the norm for monitors, I don't see 800x600 developing going away...unless everyone in the world had an eyesight transformation
    Joseph Schell
    AMICO-Online

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Design to 748 looks good - just a small gap around the edge

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I design for 800x600. And it seems like users with higher resolution monitors are used to seeing some white space 0n the side and that's it 9my gess is - thay ren't that much annoyed about it). I think it's better this way, then making other people scroll hirizontally.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I design at 800x600 but I view at 1024x768. To be honest, I kind of like websites with white space on the sides, it makes them look clear and uncluttered, somewhat professional like.

It's also easier to find what you're looking for if you don't have to look at an entire 1024x768 screen full of non-stop information and pictures.

But best of all, the widths of your paragraphs stay short, so it doesn't feel like your reading on and on and on, even though you're still reading the same much. (think of a newspaper vs a book, although you may read the same length of text, the newspaper always seems to read faster.)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I design with 800x600 in mind. But then nearly all of my sites are variable width and so I make sure that they will fit in a 640x480 window.
    Adobe Certified Coldfusion MX 7 Developer
    Adobe Certified Advanced Coldfusion MX Developer
    My Blog (new) | My Family | My Freelance | My Recipes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I always design for 800x600, because I am one of those 50.4%. Poor little behind-the-times me.
    Ed Rands

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy TheOriginalH's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've said it before - but here goes again...
    If the site you are designing is for yourself (either business or personal), make it whatever resolution you fancy. If you are designing for a paying client then in my opinion you MUST make sure the page is viewable in ALL resolutions, starting at ugly ole* 640*480. Anything short of that is simply bad customer service.

H
    ~The Artist Latterly Known as Crazy Hamster~
    922ee590a26bd62eb9b33cf2877a00df
    Currently delving into Django, GIT & CentOS