User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Local PHP Testing w/o Server??

hello, first time ere.

I pay for a website from a domain hosting company, and it supports PHP but how can I test my PHP files before uploading it on the site?? My ISP doesn't allow HTTP Servers so Apache is out of the question (or I lose my connection) It's a monopoly out here, with no other options for ISPs. Is there PHP editor that doesn't require a local server to test? I prefer Freeware, but cheap shareware is also acceptable. Thanx to anyone who helps me out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can make it so your apache server doesn't talk to world.

Another option is just to install php and from the command line call php [filename] and it will output the same. Just as long as your brain can read html..

Brett

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you might try getting a PHP editing program. The one i like quite a bit is the DzSoft PHP Editor ( www.dzsoft.com ). It's got a 30 day trial, then costs 40 bucks after that i believe.

If you have PHP installed on your personal machine, it should let you run your php scripts as if they were on the server, as long as you have all your php scripts and html pages setup as you would on the webserver.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the idea of Apache not talking, because I already have Apache (they told me after I installed it that I couldn't use it) How can I configure it to not "talk to the world"? And would this mean that a port scan would not show Apache? (cause that's what they do to me)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In the httpd.conf file you can set the option BindAddress, just enter 127.0.0.1 and it will bind only to the local address. If you have a firewall, that may help also, just deny everything from port 80.

http://httpd.apache.org/docs/bind.html

Brett

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have Apache 2.0 which doesn't support BindAddress, and Listen 127.0.0.1:80 doesn't work either. What about Listen *my IP adress*:80 would that work?

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Darc
    I have Apache 2.0 which doesn't support BindAddress, and Listen 127.0.0.1:80 doesn't work either. What about Listen *my IP adress*:80 would that work?
    You can still do binding with Apache 2, though.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tried that and people could still connect to my server. I have my firewall blocking it now, will that do?