SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Frames alternative

I'm trying fixing my dad's inaccessible website. It uses frames. If all the frames were in his domain it would be no problem. I would just stick the frames contents into one page. But sometimes when you click a link in the navigation frame, it opens a document from another site on the main frame. The other site is designed for this, so there is no need to let the user know it is another site.

How can I ditch the frames and make the site accessible and still have a page with some frames from Dad's site and one frame from another site?

Should I use object tags? Should I download there site pages and place them on my site?

Thanks,
    Phil

Drupaler bronze trophy greg.harvey's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Frames aren't inaccessible. Badly implemented frames are! See this:

http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/pres...es.html#h-16.4

If your frameset is properly coded then there are no accessibility issues and you don't have to change anything.

gingham dress, army boots... silver trophy redux's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    although technically accessible, frames still pose a few extra problems (e.g. if you navigation is in one frame, and the content in another, users of assistive technology - be it a screenreader running on top of IE, or even text only browsers such as lynx - need to keep hopping between the two frames...a pain, in most cases)
    the best solution is to avoid frames. most of the time, there are two reasons why people use frames:

- modularisation of their site: they can keep the navigation, for instance, in a frame, and when they need to change it they only need to update a single file
    - the visual effect of always having the header/logo and/or navigation visible, no matter how much content scrolling you have

both can be solved:

- use server-side technology to modularise pages (e.g. using PHP includes, or even SSI)
    - use CSS' fixed positioning
    re·dux (adj.): brought back; returned. used postpositively
    [latin : re-, re- + dux, leader; see duke.]
    WaSP Accessibility Task Force Member
    splintered.co.uk | photographia.co.uk | redux.deviantart.com

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you know ASP.NET? I am more familiar with ASP.NET than PHP. Can I embed a page from another site in a page from my site before I send it to the client? Having the navigation not scroll is not that important to me. I could always use a scrollable div tag if I wanted it.

Thanks,
    Phil

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil D.
    Can I embed a page from another site in a page from my site before I send it to the client?
    Very simple.
    ermm... let me figure out how to post code, bear with me.

mypage.asp:
    Code:
    <html>
    <head></head>
    <body>

<div id="menu">
       <!--#include virtual="menu.asp"-->
       <!-- the above is the asp call -->
    </div>
    <!-- rest of your content here -->
    </body>
    </html>
    menu.asp:
    Code:
    <a href="">link1</a>
    <!-- Note: isn't a valid html doc, unlike a frames page -->
    Semantically a bit sloppy, but it should give you a decent idea. The client will only see the link, the process is entirely server-side, so it generates pure, valid html. Using the #include you can just slap in any code fragment you want. Just make sure you change your html page to .asp.