SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So... anyone here using php5 in production?

I compiled php5 on one of our test servers today, and mirrored all our major sites. So far, everything worked fine (except some OSComm sites, just needed to enable register globals locally for them).

Now we'll probably do a couple of months of testing to be on the safe side, but I was curious how some people here who work for larger companies may do their testing with new product releases?

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy someonewhois's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I doubt anyone.. no web hosts support PHP 5. It's a waste of time to learn it, in my opinion (bold means don't flame, or prove me wrong, I'm not really interested ) I'll learn it when it comes around to being widespread.

public static void brain Gybbyl's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been writing all of my code (unless it's for clients that don't have access to it) to work with PHP 5 since the first CVS build. It's been an interesting ride, and many people are going to call me stupid and such for doing it, but I loved every minute of it.

Not sure how many of the people who download my programs and code actually use it in production, but there may be one or two. I hope.
    Ryan

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    PHP5 in production and it works just fine
    Got some memory leaks ( that I don't think is related to the fact that it's PHP5 ), but trying to track those down.

l 0 l silver trophybronze trophy lo0ol's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by someonewhois
    I doubt anyone.. no web hosts support PHP 5.
    I would assume the majority (or at least a hefty amount) of people who would be interested in making the switch probably have a dedicated server.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by someonewhois
    I doubt anyone.. no web hosts support PHP 5
    Well, my host does support PHP 5, they even installed it when there was a beta version only and it works as CGI only, because as bad as I'm aware, you cannot have two PHP APcache modules.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Borozdin
    Well, my host does support PHP 5, they even installed it when there was a beta version only and it works as CGI only, because as bad as I'm aware, you cannot have two PHP APcache modules.
    That's why you write a bash script to swap php4 and php5 in your modules.conf, allowing you to switch back and forth if need be

Of course, I haven't had to switch back tto php4 for any reasons yet... all my old libraries of classes and scripts work fine.

public static void brain Gybbyl's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They spent so much time making PHP 5 backwards compatible that they left out some of the really cool OO features, etc.

I guess that's because they didn't want half of the web to just break one day.

Ryan

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Im using on my own dedicated box without problems, but everyone is right, it will be a while until you see the "average" hosting provider offering php5
    Cyberlot Technologies Group
    FlashUnity - PHP Based Flash communications server