SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Thread: Start Small

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When starting your new site or revamping your old site, don't try to be everything to everyone. Start small.

Pick a single niche that you are good at and concentrate on that. You can always expand later if necessary.

By starting small with a single topic you can also draw more targetted traffic which means you can charge a higher premium for advertising when you get to that point.

Speaking of Advertising, don't start with it immediately. Your new visitors don't want to see it and the advertisors won't want to sell it to you. Keep your advertising in the same topic of your site as well. If I go to a motorcycle site, I am more likely to click on an ad for helmets or bike accessories then I am for home furnishings.

So in short, Start Small, Keep focused on your Target and Think hard about diverging into other topics.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

Serial Publisher silver trophy aspen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If all these idiot dot coms would only realize this less of them would be going out of business.

Too many try to be "everything to everyone"
    Chris Beasley - I publish content and ecommerce sites.
    Featured Article: Free Comprehensive SEO Guide
    My Guide to Building a Successful Website
    My Blog|My Webmaster Forums

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i learnt that the hard way with my old films/movies release date site trying to cover all of them on my free hosted site at webjump.com - now 2 1/2 yrs later i am restarting the project on a domain and starting off really slowly at http://www.infilmbox.com/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Arrow

I think there are many people that try to do everything at their websites, sometimes becouse they aren't really good at anything.
    Duarte Carrilho da Graša
    RailsHelp.com: Searchable Rails reference
    CACA: Committee for the Annihilation of Complicated Acronyms

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by lirux
    I think there are many people that try to do everything at their websites, sometimes becouse they aren't really good at anything.
    or that they think that's what the visitor wanted or that the were trying too hard to please too many

********* Callithumpian silver trophy freakysid's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

Wayne - that's probably the best advice I've read at these forums. I agree 100%

Unless, of course, you've managed to gain $100m in VC to start a web site called www.socksrus.com - which is going to revolutionize the way we buy socks! Then you should live it up, pocket as much money as you can and piss the rest up against the wall!

SitePoint Zealot Jason_Therrien's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wayne,

Thanks for writing this thread. It backs up what I have been doing, and although it is tough and tedious sometimes, (most of the time!) you are right that it is the best route to take when starting!

Thanks for reaffirming the belief!

Jason
    www.SmartWebBusiness.com
    "A small business resource for news and answers to your Internet questions."