SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi guys.. I have been a bit distant of late and am trying to rectify this.. Its just other things have been kinda taking up my time recently..

Anyway this has also affected me learning new things.. I love learning new things and over the last 6 months I have not really learnt much in the way of new things and want to change that. I have made a list of some of the things I would like to develop skills in...

So far I have the following skills..

HTML
    Basic CSS
    Basic - Intermediate Photoshop
    Dreamweaver
    VERY VERY BASIC Php/sql

I have made a list of all of the skills I would like to develop. I am sure I will have to make some priorities and perhaps even forget some.... Anyway here is my list with some thoughts on importance..

SERVERSIDE ***VERY IMPORTANT***

PHP/SQL *** I really want to learn this and in the end I want to rediesn my own site in php/sql***
    ASP ***Not a great fan but my work use NT servers, so a bit of a must ***

I have made some attempts to learn these technologies but have found it hard.. I think if I gacve them another DEDICATED shot I would be able to learn them..

CLIENTSIDE

JAVASCRIPT ***Not that important.. I have a book at home that I am going to read but I figure my time is better invested in server side and more indepth HTML... I can cut and paste and dreamweaver anything I need too***

HTML ***I am pretty good at tables, frmaes etc.. However I think I need to look into version 4 more .. layers etc... ***

CCS ***Again my own site runs lots of different styles from a a .css sheet and I use div= etc.. However I am sure there is more to CSS than this ***

SOFTWARE PACKAGES

PHOTOSHOP ***This is VERY important ot me to learn.. I feel that this is a large factor that is holding me back in building nice looking sites... ***

DREAMWEAVER *** I have always shyed away from DW, as I thought I would get lazy in my html and forget it. However afetr looking at version 4 it is clearly to powerfull not to use I think.. Layers, etc.. are a breeze in this program***

FLASH ***Not too important but its a fun program huh ? ***

Phew right thats the lot... I am basically after some ideas on how you would go about learning these..

I was thinking this :

1. ) I want to develop a personal CV site called danielclough.com.

I was going to work hard on it to make it quite graphically impressive (Photoshop), use CSS as indepth as I can and use dreamweaver to include layers etc.....

I could also include some examples of php in it

2. ) I intend on starting AND FINISHING Kevin Yanks tutorial on PHP/SQL.. I also intend to read alot more in my free time on php/sql (Am I turning into a geek ?) LOL..

Aprt form the above I was thinking of setting my self a goal of reading an article PER day related to one of the above just to make sure I am always learning something new...

Any ideas or perhaps any other ways for me to go about laerning the above ?

Thanks ..
    Wannabebig Bodybuilding
    Wannabebig Bodybuilding Forums - Wanna be bigger and stronger?
    At Large Nutrition - nutritional supplements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hate to sound like a broken record, but to get started with PHP/MySQL, you know I'll have to recommend Kevin's tutorial.

However, if you get through that, and hunger for more, but a book, such as "Professional PHP Programming" - I practically had an epiphany when reading about variables there...the wealth of knowledge was amazing.

Or, if you're more the type who wants to do things, but not necessarily drill them into your head, take a look at "The PHP Developer's Cookbook" from SAMS Net (MacMillian Publishing, I believe)...pretty handy for little tasks here and there.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cheers Chris..

Yeah I have Beginning PHP by wrox so i guess its plough through Kevins tutorial and then get through the book too ! I have tried a cuopple of times but just time never let me finish but I am really going to give it a go this time..
    Wannabebig Bodybuilding
    Wannabebig Bodybuilding Forums - Wanna be bigger and stronger?
    At Large Nutrition - nutritional supplements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Cloughie
    Hi guys.. I have been a bit distant of late and am trying to rectify this.. Its just other things have been kinda taking up my time recently..

Anyway this has also affected me learning new things.. I love learning new things and over the last 6 months I have not really learnt much in the way of new things and want to change that. I have made a list of some of the things I would like to develop skills in...

So far I have the following skills..

HTML
    Basic CSS
    Basic - Intermediate Photoshop
    Dreamweaver
    VERY VERY BASIC Php/sql

I have made a list of all of the skills I would like to develop. I am sure I will have to make some priorities and perhaps even forget some.... Anyway here is my list with some thoughts on importance..

SERVERSIDE ***VERY IMPORTANT***

PHP/SQL *** I really want to learn this and in the end I want to rediesn my own site in php/sql***
    ASP ***Not a great fan but my work use NT servers, so a bit of a must ***

You will find more of a demand for ASP from larger companies but over time I would be hard pressed to see this continuing. I mean php is free !!!

I have made some attempts to learn these technologies but have found it hard.. I think if I gacve them another DEDICATED shot I would be able to learn them..

Don't get discouraged but don't force yourself to much or else you will get fustrated and burned out. The best advice I could give you is if your redesigning your site then by all means take it one step at a time and redesign using php/mySQL etc. Try to keep the creative passion and learning on the same level and you shouldn't get burned out

CLIENTSIDE

JAVASCRIPT ***Not that important.. I have a book at home that I am going to read but I figure my time is better invested in server side and more indepth HTML... I can cut and paste and dreamweaver anything I need too***

yep there are plenty of good scripts and resources all ready written... Most stuff that you may ever want will be probably simple scripts (browser detects etc...) And forums like this one have people that seem to fall over backwards just to help you with a script etc... Even just plain write them for you!

HTML ***I am pretty good at tables, frmaes etc.. However I think I need to look into version 4 more .. layers etc... ***

Yeah it is always a good idea to know some html. At least enough to correct things that may crop up from time to time, but with programs like Dreamweaver layout has become much easier. The thinking is to pull yourself away from just the code and put yourself into the design. The mechanics will come with a great design.

CCS ***Again my own site runs lots of different styles from a a .css sheet and I use div= etc.. However I am sure there is more to CSS than this***

Much like HTML this again will depend all on the design and the mechanics will come

SOFTWARE PACKAGES

PHOTOSHOP ***This is VERY important ot me to learn.. I feel that this is a large factor that is holding me back in building nice looking sites... ***

I love drawing and design, graphics are a very big part of that. Although you can have a very good design with very few graphics, it seems more of the great designs use graphics! Personally I think this is very importaint for design almost one of the most importaint aspects.

This is one of the things that defently won't come overnight. You really need to sit down and draw (there are alot of great tutorials on photoshop and the better you get with the software the more you will be able to do what you envision)

DREAMWEAVER *** I have always shyed away from DW, as I thought I would get lazy in my html and forget it. However afetr looking at version 4 it is clearly to powerfull not to use I think.. Layers, etc.. are a breeze in this program***

Like what I said about the html keep up with enough to fix and tweek anything that programs may put in, but this is all just mechanics and programs like DW will help you concentrate on design!!! That is the real key. (Personally I use NetObjects Fusion, this from only ever using notepad I can still write a page using a pin a paper but NOF allows me to think in design not code. DW is probably a better choice now!!!

FLASH ***Not too important but its a fun program huh ? ***

IT'S THE BOMB!!! Ok it is just the artist designer in me. I just wish I had more time to play with it

Phew right thats the lot... I am basically after some ideas on how you would go about learning these..

I was thinking this :

1. ) I want to develop a personal CV site called danielclough.com.

I was going to work hard on it to make it quite graphically impressive (Photoshop), use CSS as indepth as I can and use dreamweaver to include layers etc.....

All in the design. but remember a little goes along way!!! Don't over do and don't get discuraged when it is not turning out exactly how you first envisioned. Design can change over time to reflect what works and doesn't work.

Designer = artist here. Yep it is not something you can learn over night, and no matter what, you will always be learning. This has nothing to do with just the mechanical side. I can get monkeys to write code. Being a designer means you are an artist. Your medium is the www. It is a medium that has never been seen before and although we think we have explored most of it really we have only scratched the surface. Some designers have lumped it in with print mediums but really it is a whole new medium!!! You can't treat it like just plain print (although if you know or read about the printed medium this, I think, can help you in some areas).

I could also include some examples of php in it

2. ) I intend on starting AND FINISHING Kevin Yanks tutorial on PHP/SQL.. I also intend to read alot more in my free time on php/sql (Am I turning into a geek ?) LOL..

To late!!!

Aprt form the above I was thinking of setting my self a goal of reading an article PER day related to one of the above just to make sure I am always learning something new...

Just don't over do as you can become burned out...

Any ideas or perhaps any other ways for me to go about laerning the above ?

Thanks ..
    I never got your age, but you seem pretty young??? This is of course not a problem!!! Just don't get into a rush to learn it all at once. Take one step at a time. You want to learn PHP, great! read some tutorials do some hello worlds etc... Then to learn it apply it to your site. Only concentrate on what you need to learn to design your page, nothing more. If you find it really intresting and what you are doing to easy then learn some more. Same goes for graphics etc... Remember, with all this you will not learn over night. Learn the tools then learn to design. Once you get good with design the code and the rest will come easily enough!!!

Hope this helps

Late
    body { background:#000000; color:#000000 }
    HEY, WHO TURNED OUT THE LIGHTS?!?
    Easy come easy go!!!
    CryingWolf