SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast chickaboom's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi. I've seen Web sites where a message, several lines in sequence, fade in real slow and nice, and fade out, and each line that fades out is replaced by a new line of text. It's an excellent way to define a site's purpose quickly and at the same time grab the reader's attention. I hope someone knows what I'm describing. It's Flash I'm sure.

I dig simplicity. I make simple pages and I'm always attracted to the simple layouts that pop your eyes out. I demand fast loading - can't stand to wait very long. These are my questions...

1. Can Flash make fade in/fade away messages and still download quick?
    2. Would it be too hard for a Flash newbie to try to do? Could I learn this in say a couple weeks?
    3. Can you do CSS and Flash together because I like those rollover text links. (Uh, I have to learn CSS too.)
    4. Do you recommend the book "Foundation Flash 5" for learning Flash?

Thank you so much for any opinions! Ciao.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes Flash could be used to accomplish this...very easily too.

It is a matter of a few layers, then some tweening and presto. How much do you know about Flash as that would of course affect the time it would take you. Post back here and I (and others of course) would be more than happy to help.
    Adobe Certified Coldfusion MX 7 Developer
    Adobe Certified Advanced Coldfusion MX Developer
    My Blog (new) | My Family | My Freelance | My Recipes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Creole, thank you kindly for your reply.

I know nothing about Flash. Zip. I only know plain HTML (I use Homesite WYSIWG), I know how to paste in prewritten applets or Javascript, and I use Photoshop and PSP. I see Macromedia has a 30 day trial offer. Depending on the opinions of experienced Flash people, I fancy getting a book, downloading the trial, and giving it a try. If making the fade in/fade away text is one of the easier things to make Flash do (and I'm hoping it is), all the better. Thank you!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well now..if you don't already have Flash, then (as a newbie) you might consider trying Live Motion. I have yet to try it myself, but it appears to be MUCH easier than Flash for tasks like the ones you are wanting to do. Plus the interface is identical to Photoshop (if you know that interface).

Not that I am touting one program over the other, but I was at an Adobe seminar where they put Live Motion through it's paces and I was impressed. I will be giving it a shot myself soon.
    Last edited by creole; Mar 12, 2001 at 12:26.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You may also want to check out Swish. It's only $30 and they do offer a 30 day trial. Nice program that does lots of stuff for such a small price. Very easy to figure out.

http://www.swishzone.com

I'm sure that Macromedia's Flash is more powerful yet more expensive. Try them all and see what you prefer.

Joseph
    Joseph Schell
    AMICO-Online

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Swish looks awesome. It does exactly what I'm looking for. And the price is so right. I can't WAIT to get on the computer tonight! I get very little computer time during the day. I'll check out Live Motion tonight too. Thanks a million billion you guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    KoolMoves is even better than Swish (I think) at the same price. http://www.koolmoves.com
    Why not host your domain at iFUN.com ...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    dgwade...are you serious?

I just took a look at KoolMoves and it is LAME!. It might work better than Swish (although I doubt it) but I would not buy it just based on the examples they give. If it is so good, then why don't they take the time to create some really eye-catching effects? Those look like they were created in Flash 2.0.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I downloaded Koolmoves and I wasn't impressed with the program or their weak website. Their examples were not that great either.

I suppose it offers some more features than Swish 1.5 but Swish 2 is due out in June. I tried to be objective when I used koolmoves but I couldn't ever recommend it at its current state.

To each his own.
    Joseph Schell
    AMICO-Online

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do all these programmes need plug-ins to make them run ? 'Cos that would be the problem if your users didn't already have them on their browser- installing them would be a nuisance.

I've been thinking along these same lines too - I've downloaded a Flash demo., and sat there thinking, 'What planet am I on?' Complicated ? Definitely need a book - the help files in the programme were overwhelming .

Let us know what you decide, Chickaboom.
    All the world's a stage......

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've just spent half an hour at the Swish site, and boy! does it look good. Used to be you could only do text, but now you can add graphics and sound - WOW! And only $30, uses existing Flash plug-ins. Some brilliant samples there.
    Also, I believe they're doing a free Alpha-testing version, which I'm in the middle of downloading as I type this. So hurry along there, guys, and take a look!

Thanks for that link, Uwajes.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Correction-it's not free, and there don't appear to be any help files either. But what's $30 ?

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You may find this forum to be of some help...as far as getting help with Swish related questions. I'm sure that you would find most of your questions answered there.

Swish Forum @ flashkit.com

http://board.flashkit.com/board/foru...php?forumid=17
    Joseph Schell
    AMICO-Online

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Gardener,

I'm working (no, playing!) with Swish. It's excellent! The two tutorials were a cinch to follow. Now I just have to experiment. I can't say enough about how thrilled I am to find something like Swish that is such a good product and is something an amatuer like me can learn. I've only done text so far and the file is quite small.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anothers good link, Uwajes. Bookmarked already.

Chickaboom - this is one easy programme to use - I had effects in ten minutes , whereas in Flash I couldn't even figure out how to start.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just in case...
    Fading/replacing text can also be accomplished with javascript.

Heres an excellent script:

http://javascript.internet.com/messa...ding-text.html