SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Redirect and URL names

Hi everyone,

Needing some advice. We have a website that is successfully listed in the top listings at Yahoo. Additionally, the site is successful altogether. Because of this success, we are launching other websites selling our core products online (B2B). Because of the uniqueness and personalization aspects fo our site, we decided to go with a hosted solution for the balance of our sites. So instead of our URL being http://www.FinePromoPens.com it is something like www.store.com/finepromopens . From experience, I believe this affects our SE ratings. Is this a correct assumption? If so, how can I get around it?

Thanks a lot for any input!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't believe it is the right thing to do to start setting up other websites for your core products. One website with all should be plenty enough. If Search engines find out you are using this technique, it could also hurt your rankings.

So to get around it, my suggestion is just to have one website with all your products and optimize it properly.
    Maarten

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, I can appreciate that if all our items were very similar in nature. Howver, we offer over 20,000 products! We are a promotional products distributor. There are sites out there that offer all their products but it is overwhelming. Think about it, if you want a pen, do you really want to filter through 17,000 other products to find it? Basically we are taking what we are good at and what we buy best and setting up sites to sell those products. Not only that, the mechanics of each product is different and by setting up different sites, it allows us to work around that much easier.

The question still remains, how do we get around using the hosted solution as it pertains to the domain name?

Thanks!
    Tonya

Quote Originally Posted by msiruit
    I don't believe it is the right thing to do to start setting up other websites for your core products. One website with all should be plenty enough. If Search engines find out you are using this technique, it could also hurt your rankings.

So to get around it, my suggestion is just to have one website with all your products and optimize it properly.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I still stand by that you should stick with one website. It can still be optimized properly. Adn besides that I am sure you have a good search function on your website?

If you must have different websites anyway, if you can put a keyword in your domain, great. But it has little value for search engines.
    Maarten

I am obstructing justice. bronze trophy fatnewt's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd recommend trying to have it on a domain name -- it'll be easier for customers to remember and get to.

As for having keywords there - there is a value for Search Engines. Link text is extremely important to SEs. So when your domain contains keywords, and people link to you with your domain name, you get that benefit. Of course, most SEs won't pull apart the name to find a word, so if you have two words in your domain, you'd have to seperate them with a hyphen (-) to get this.

Don't seperate more than two words this way though. Domains with several hyphens look like spam.
    Colin Temple [twitter: @cailean]
    Web Analyst at Napkyn