SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a web site called www.asihosting.com , I have a buddy of mine that wants to point his domain to a sub directory under mine, so I want to point www.spaceagegames.com to www.asihosting.com/spaceagegames . Is this possible? I don't want to use a redirect because I don't know where I would redirect it from.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Josh

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't want to use a redirect because I don't know where I would redirect it from.
    I don't understand this. Do you want to explain?
    In such a case, I'd use www.mydomain.com for redirection (but you don't want redirection!)
    - Son Nguyen
    AdSpeed.com - Ad Serving and Ad Management Made Easy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, I'll take out the request not to redirect, maybe I can't do what I want.

Basically, I want to be able to point www.spaceagegames.com to www.asihosting.com/spaceagegames

Is this even possible? When it comes up in the browser, I wanted it to just come up as www.spaceagegames.com so that the visitor would not know that they were at a sub directory of another site.

Does that make sense?

Feel free to email me at jfink@mindspring.com if you have any suggestions.

Thanks,

Josh

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, with redirection as you find at mydomain.com

You would move the spacegames.com domain to mydomain's dns servers so they can point to www.asihosting.com/spacegames

You would then use the url gripper they have to keep spacegames.com in the browser window.

There are otherways but I haven't really looked into it as this is one of the easier (read lazy ) ways.

late
    body { background:#000000; color:#000000 }
    HEY, WHO TURNED OUT THE LIGHTS?!?
    Easy come easy go!!!
    CryingWolf

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the help, but I really don't want to move to mydomains dns servers as I have my own. Is there any way to do this withouth using mydomain?

Josh

junkyrddog's Other Half emmester's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    URL Gripper...hmm, what's that? I understand what it does but I've never heard of it.

Don't get too close, I bite! Nicky's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A URL gripper allows you to visit different pages whilst keep the same domain name in the Location bar, problem is that it uses frames to do this!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, from what I've been reading that without moving this to another domain I need to be able to set up an index.cgi script. Is this the case? I would love to be able to do this with some scripting within the apache control files but If I need to do it with an index.cgi file, can someone explain how to do this?

Main domain name is www.asihosting.com
    The ip address is 216.71.55.188
    The domain I want to redirect is www.spaceagegames.com

I want to redirect it to www.asihosting.com/spaceagegames but when the user types in www.spaceagegames, I only want to see www.spaceagegames.com in the address bar. Is this possible?

Does this have any effect on search engines?

Thanks,

Josh

I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaack! Fluffykins's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes it is possible.

What you need is domain re-direction. My host does this for me, so yours probably will too. Just e-mail them, tell them you want spaceagegames.com to redirect to asihosting.com/spaceagegames and they should do it for you. Domain re-direction is an added option in my hosting package, it probably is in a whole bunch of others too.

It's just a question of setting up a domain pointer at their end. You'll probably have to update the DNS settings for the domain if it's hosted somewhere else. I'm also not sure whether your hosting will charge for this or not, mine has only just started doing it for free but used to charge a one-off fee of $10 per re-direction.

I know this cos popliciousforums.com, popliciousradio.com and ipopfan.com are all just domain re-directs of poplicious.com - they point to poplicious.com/forum, poplicious.com/radio and poplicious.com/mail respectively and that's how I set them up.

Also, unlike using a URL Gripper or Frames Forwarding as I've heard it called, you can address pages directly. E.g. in my case I can access ipopfan.com/help.htm whereas with frames forwarding you can't, you'd have to go to poplicious.com/mail/help.htm.

Hope that makes some sense, it's very early.

Ady
    v-technologies - Freelance Goodness.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    some hosting companies call it a parked domain. If you have access to your apache http.conf file then you should even be able to do it yourself. Check out www.apache.org for more information.

try this link: http://httpd.apache.org/docs/mod/mod_alias.html

or this link: http://www.apache.org/docs-2.0/misc/howto.html (This one looks like the one that will work)
    Adobe Certified Coldfusion MX 7 Developer
    Adobe Certified Advanced Coldfusion MX Developer
    My Blog (new) | My Family | My Freelance | My Recipes