SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Conventions for Importing TEXT Data

I'm an intermediate beginner at MySQL and am getting ready to import my first articles into TEXT fields. I've jumped through a number of hoops trying to get my data ready and figuring out how to get it from one software program to another and then into MySQL.

My data now looks like this:

<h2>Oil and Windows Don’t Mix</h2> <p>At the dawning of a new millennium, Africans have been offered a glimmer of hope in the form of oil and high-tech enterprise. The Internet has brought all the world’s nations closer together, and software companies and computer services could give Africa’s economy a major boost. The impact could be synergistic, with oil exports pumping money into the high-tech sector.</p> <p>But oil and computers could also be a curse.</p>

Ideally, I'd like it to look like this, both in my database and in my source code:

<h2>Oil and Windows Don’t Mix</h2>

<p>At the dawning of a new millennium, Africans have been offered a glimmer of hope in the form of oil and high-tech enterprise. The Internet has brought all the world’s nations closer together, and software companies and computer services could give Africa’s economy a major boost. The impact could be synergistic, with oil exports pumping money into the high-tech sector.</p>

<p>But oil and computers could also be a curse.</p>

It simply makes it easier for me to inspect my data, plus it looks more professional.

I can manually manipulate the data so it looks neat in the database, but I have to use some sort of line breaks to make it look neat in my source code, right? What kind of line breaks do you use?

I've heard mixed stories, with some people saying line breaks cause problems in CSV. On the other hand, I'm having so many problems with CSV, I'm trying to get away from it altogether.

Anyway, I wondered what conventions others use when importing articles into MySQL databases and what their data looks like.

Thanks.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And here's a related question...

What software program do you use to manipulate lengthy articles outside MySQL? I just discovered that my spreadsheet has a word limit, which rules out its use for articles.

So if I can sort and rearrange columns and rows with other data, but I'd have to cut and paste my articles one at a time.