SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi, my web site recently won an I.A.W.M.D (International Association of Web Masters and Designers) Golden Web Award for the 2000-2001 period. In their notification email, they offered me a special rate for membership to their association. Membership to this association seems to offer some very good incentives and it seems to be a fairly reputable organization.

I was just wondering if anyone else is a member of this association, or has heard anything about it in the past. If you are a member, how have you found it?

Thanks
    Brad Culbert
    SQL Server 2005 Books
    www.SQLServer2005Books.com - Reader-rated SQL Server 2005 Books

Don't get too close, I bite! Nicky's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I must admit that I have never heard of them so I can't really advice on whether they are good value for money or not.

What I can say is that it all sounds a little bit like they are only looking after their own financial interests if they are giving you an award (congrats by the way) only to offer you memebership at a "discounted" price!

Misfit
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I agree with Nicky. For example, a few months ago I submitted some poetry to Poetry.com. About a week ago I got a bunch of letters from them - each one saying one of my poems would be published in an upcoming book. Great! BUT, what got me was they accepted all 12 poems I submitted to them. Moreover, they said they would give me a special price of $50 for the book. It's just a ploy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did considered this point of view also, as it is a tactic used so often by companies to offer you "special" deals once they have your email. However, for the price they are asking ($24.95), they do seem to provide some fairly good returns such as 1 year subscription to Maximum PC Magazine, free hosting and free advertising.

All these benefits aside, if I was to join, it would mainly be something I could put in my resume which may give me the edge when trying for employment. This is why I am interested in the reputation of this association.

As with Nicky, I had never heard of this association before I stumbled upon their award either.
    Brad Culbert
    SQL Server 2005 Books
    www.SQLServer2005Books.com - Reader-rated SQL Server 2005 Books

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I won their award and got the offer to join also. They also presented some other offers in their e-mail, like a certificate they would mail me that stated I had won their award.

But I decide against it because I thought it was probably just a scam-type thing. I didn't know anything about this organization, and what's the point of having a certificate hanging around from an organization no one's ever heard of before?

Even worse would be if someone knew they were a scam and laughed at the certificate when they saw it.

Same goes for having the name on your resume...

I think their awards are not hard to obtain, I recently saw the award image on a poorly designed website.

But perhaps this is a respected organization and I missed a great oportunity...
    -Nick