SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question

I don't know if this is the right forum, but maybe someone can move it if it's not.

Recently I've been coming across people, including some here @ SitePointForums, who sign 'Content Engineer' to their names.

I must admit it sounds very cool and impressive, as if the person spent years in higher education learning this mysterious engineering field. But just what does it mean? Did they make this up or what?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool

I believe a Content Engineer is in charge of production, maintenance, and intergration of a web site. Basically they are in charge of the content of the page and how to transmit it efficently.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question

hmmm. Yeah, those fake titles...
    I heard there's a guy out there who calls himself 'Content Manager', but the truth is he made it up. Can't tell exactly who it is... lol
    Actually there's a computer game called Championship Manager that I play once in a while. I might change the word Content for 'Championship'... sounds cool:

Duarte C CG
    Championship Manager @ lirux.com

lol
    Duarte Carrilho da Graša
    RailsHelp.com: Searchable Rails reference
    CACA: Committee for the Annihilation of Complicated Acronyms

Irritability Defined
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by SoldierMail
    I believe a Content Engineer is in charge of production, maintenance, and intergration of a web site. Basically they are in charge of the content of the page and how to transmit it efficently.
    That's pretty close to a description. The title can mean quite a few things however, so in addition to the above list :

1. Take care of the structuring/delineation of the content;
    2. Procure/edit/prep fresh content for production;
    3. If necessary, be involved in providing direction re : information architecture.

Technically speaking, a content engineer should be a voracious reader of new content (and haunt other webmaster-related sites), be familiar with at least HTML (and maybe some DB skills like PHP/MySQL or ASP/Access/SQL Server), and have excellent English skills to proof-read, edit and prep content to the required length.

You could say our own Matt Harris, SitePoint's Editor-in-Chief, is a Content Engineer. He himself was a Content Engineer at a previous job.
    My 2 Cents (or is that 2.2 Cents including GST?)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So it really does exist then, I figured people just invented it to make themselves sound more distinguished.

I wonder what the American Society for Engineering Education or the American Association of Engineering Societies have to say about that...

Is it safe to assume that there is a 'Design Engineer' too? If so, what is his/her job?