SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd like to know some of the advantages of using OO (Object Oriented) programming. I'm a bit confused about it at the current time, but if it will make my programming easier and simpler, I may read up on it.

Also, I've been kind of looking over an article called "Object Oriented Programming in PHP" by Luis Argerich at phpbuilder.com Are there any other good articles that explain OOP.

Thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think OOP is in most cases wasted with PHP,
    unless you come from a OO background I do not see the need to bother?
    reusable code? functions cover most of this.

There are far too many ex java heads out there writing browser detection classes etc ? waste of time it seems to me. PHP is so easy and fast to code for mpost purposes that I think OO in PHP is normally overkill.
    And I seriously doubt that there is any chance of OO making your programming easier and simpler

just my 2c

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From what I can tell, OOP's real use is in highly complex programs. I've found that, despite spending maybe several hundred hours writing PHP code, I've never had a use for it. I've achieved similar effects with functions.

OOP, I believe, is here to help make large and/or complex programs more efficient. OOP is not a gift from above, and I've found that I've gotten along well without using it much so far.