SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Popups and auto submit. Bad practice?

On an application of mine I have a field that allows the user to jump directly to a ticket of a known number. It is acheived by entering a number then pressing either ENTER or TAB and the form is submitted.

Is this Bad practice in respect on Accessibility and Usability.

Also, on the ticket form, beside the userid field I have a Search button which, when pressed, opens another window to allow a criteria to search on. Upon selection the userid is placed onto the ticket form and the search window is closed.
    The search window attemts to retain focus until it is closed.

Again, is this bad practice.

Your comments, as ever, would be most welcome.

Cheers

gingham dress, army boots... silver trophy redux's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    do you have a URL to show us? i'm a bit unclear about what your form is actually doing. if it works without the need for javascript or any special plugins, then i'd say it's accessible (but yes, i'd need to see exactly what you mean before making that call).

opening new windows can be an accessibility issue. you need to warn the user in some way that activating a link, or submitting a form, will pop up a new window. i would advise against "forcing focus" though, as it's bad usability to try and break user expectations and the way the users' systems normally work.
    re·dux (adj.): brought back; returned. used postpositively
    [latin : re-, re- + dux, leader; see duke.]
    WaSP Accessibility Task Force Member
    splintered.co.uk | photographia.co.uk | redux.deviantart.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry, page is on an intranet.

I suppose the nearest analogy I can make is with the "Search the forums... [GO!]" elements located in the top right of this page.

But instead of searching SitePoint with a particular word or phrase, you'd enter a thread number and, by clicking "GO!" to submit the form, jump straight to that thread.

Similarly, in my ticket system, you'd enter a ticket number, press either the tab key or the enter key to submit the form, and that ticket would be displayed.

Theres no 'Go' button as my users felt it was too much to ask them to move their mouse and click go.

As to the opening of new windows.
    I suppose I could get round this by :
    a) 2 pages, one the form page the other the search page.
    On clicking the search button on the form page, the form is submitted and hidden <input> fields, genereated dynamically, are placed within the search page. On selecting (submitting) an individual, the form page is again loaded and the data that was hidden is displayed.

b) All forms necessary are placed between one pair of <form>tags.
    These forms are then loaded by the browser, but only one form is displayed at a time via css.

What do you think?
    submission
    Dynamically generate hidden <input> fields within the search page, on submission

Use one pair of <form> tags,
    hide one form