SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Thread: next book

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've just bought Beginning PHP. Useful book, I've tinkered around a bit and have written some progs, good fun.

Is it worth buying Professional PHP? What does it cover? Anything that I just cant find online?
    russell.cz.cc - coming soon (I promise!)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, you can find everything online through places like PHPBuilder.com, or PHP.net, but the book can take you through things at a steady pace. It's a lot more beginner-friendly.

If you are referring to the Wrox Books, there's a small chance it might make more sense to go straight for the Professional book...that is, if you are familiar with some of the basics like variables, functions, arrays, and things like that. At that point, I might recommend the Professional book...the beginner books tend to go on a bit about what a variable and things like that a lot longer than the Professional Wrox Series.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep, I meant the Wrox books.

And your right, I nearly fell asleep reading about variables, I understood it straight away basically.

What kind of things does the professional book go into?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, here are some examples:

- Chapter 4 ("Variables, Constants and Data Types") is quite a piece of work! If you're familiar with the basic concept of a variable, then you'll likely enjoy it. It just goes blazing through all the different rules and data types of variables. I remember it being one of the first chapters I'd ever read that I came away from feeling as if I'd truly understood it all.

- After the variables, it goes into Operators and Statements (conditionals basically...both chapters structured the same was as Chapter 4)., and then into Functions.

After having read Chapters 4-7, you'll have a solid handle on the language, and are probably getting close to calling yourself an intermediate.

Chapter 8 is a crash-course on Arrays, and Chapter 9 introduces you to Object-Oriented Programming - one of the few chapters in the book I thought could have been put together better.

Chapter 9 is *very* cool. It goes into all kinds of string manipulation, including a complex section on regular expressions. Chapter 10 is about opening, closing, reading from, and modifying files.

Chapter 11 concerns SQL - one of the few chapters I do not like in this book. I think it's poorly put together for anyone who has not used PHP and SQL together before. Stick with Kevin's tutorial for that.

After that you'd skip over a few chapters (they're on XML and LDAP...), and you'll end up on Chapter 15, which does a very good job of introducing us to Image Creation/Manipulation in PHP.

I think it's chapters like the one on String Manipulation, File Handling, and Image Manipulation that make this book advanced. They all run through more than you'll ever need to know about each subject, most likely, and provide working code examples.

In addition, they take an in-depth look at the BBS software known as Phorum, and they build a Shopping-Cart Application right in front of you, to allow you see what a well-structured program looks like when everything is brought together.

The Case Studies on those two projects are one of the highlights of the book, IMO, and another thing that makes it an advanced book. As it is, I've skipped over many chapters on things like installing PHP, Templates, Sending and receiving email, Cookies, an email application created with PHP, and the *MIND-BOGGLING* reference this book serves as.

Basically, I have trouble remembering the last time I tried to look something up in this book and failed. This book is advanced enough to be of some use forever, basically. I still find it useful. PHP.net is all well and good, but it's explanation of things is obviously very dry, and if you don't understand something about what you're trying to learn about, it's not usually of much help.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually I have to dis-agree about finding everything on the net. Well, finding learning material or enough examples. While there are A TON of great articles and such to learn from, with php being somewhat new, it's still hard to find certian php subjects, in newbie terms that is. Unless some one has sources I don't know about. The php manual is an awesome reference, but more towards advanced programmers.

I have had proffesional PHP programming by worx for some time, it's a great reference book! Of course it does'nt cover everything completely, no book can, it does a good job at what it does cover. Though it does lean a little towards the more advance, I still found most of it understandable from a newbie's prespective.

Hope that helps.

ronnie
    The largest selection of PLR Articles on the Planet!
    Many Private Label Rights Products.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yup, exactly what I said: you can find anything about PHP online, freely available, but the books walk you through the various subjects.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow thanks Chris that post was very helpful, I'll probaly be getting that book very soon.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FYI, WROX are currently working on a new book, "Professional PHP4". While Pro PHP is definitely a good book (see my full review in the book reviews section of Webmasterbase.com), parts of it are getting outdated and there is little or no mention of new features in PHP4, such as Sessions, Java interactivity, etc.

Generally, if you can get by with online tutorials and your present knowledge for a few months, I'd wait for the new book. I'm working as a Technical Reviewer on this title (as I did on "Beginning PHP4" -- check the credits page), so I'll be working hard to ensure its content is of a high calibre. ;-)
    Kevin Yank
    CTO, sitepoint.com
    I wrote: Simply JavaScript | BYO PHP/MySQL | Tech Times | Editize
    Baby’s got back—a hard back, that is: The Ultimate CSS Reference

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry Chris, did'nt read your post right..

Thanks for the heads up Kevin, I have been looking at that one. Is there any selling date yet? Just curious.

ronnie
    The largest selection of PLR Articles on the Planet!
    Many Private Label Rights Products.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well if professional PHP4 is coming out soon then I'll wait.

And yes I did see your name in the book

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is there any selling date yet?
    They haven't announced a release date yet, so I can't give you a firm date. I'm supposed to be reviewing the bulk of the draft chapters in the next two weeks, so if none of the chapters need rewrites I'd say it could be in stores sometime in May.
    Kevin Yank
    CTO, sitepoint.com
    I wrote: Simply JavaScript | BYO PHP/MySQL | Tech Times | Editize
    Baby’s got back—a hard back, that is: The Ultimate CSS Reference