SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Troublesome PNG image

I'm doing some work for a client, and everything looks perfectly fine between browsers except for one PNG image. The header image, for some reason, isn't displayed at all in IE; instead, IE just shows a transparent outline of the image with a red 'x' in the corner. Sometimes it even causes IE to crash!

Unfortunately, i can't show the image here as i can't reveal the site before it's done. I'm just asking about what could possibly be causing the problem.

My attempts to fix it so far:
    1. Saved the image as a GIF, but this makes IE shows half of the image (looks corrupted at the bottom).
    2. I re-saved the same image in photoshop, but it still won't show in IE.
    3. I've colored the whole image, saved it and IE displayed well.
    4. I've put a color layer on top of the image and IE displayed it well.

As you see, this is confusing. I'm not sure what's wrong. I know it's not my HTML nor my CSS code. It's just the image itself.

What could be wrong?

SitePoint Author silver trophybronze trophy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you using PNG-24 with a full alpha channel? IE doesn't support that, but it usually displays the image anyway, although with a blueish background.
    Birnam wood is come to Dunsinane

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not sure; the client was the one who made it. I'm aware of IE not supporting transparency, but in this case the image isn't displayed at all!

SitePoint Author silver trophybronze trophy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IE supports the binary transparency in PNG-8 (I think) and GIF, but not the alpha channel in PNG-24. I haven't seen a case where IE doesn't display the image, though; it usually displays it but makes the semi-transparent areas a solid colour.

Since you still seem to have problems when saving the image as a GIF, it's likely that the problem is something else.
    Birnam wood is come to Dunsinane

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    try generating an image with a numbered grid overlayed over the gradient background.

this way you'll have some complex graphisc (you could also add some alpha transparency) and you could calculate where its messing something up.

maybe a solution will pop sudenly in your mind.

if you'll notice that the "distortion" on the proper header, and on this test gradient is the same (or simmilar) you could than send us just the header png file.

take care. this is really interesting problem you have there....
    so little time, so much to do
    talk to me