SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyone know any web sites, books, papers, etc, that describe the number of staff required to successfully manage one (or more) web sites?

Something along the lines of "if a web site is THIS big then it needs 3 staff....if it's THAT big then 20 staff.....if you have 3 web sites
    then you need at least 4 staff performing functions X, Y and Z" etc.

I know the functions required, but need to firm up on actual numbers.

I know the most common reponse will be "it depends...", but are there any reasonable guideline figures available.

Thanks.

steve.mcgowan@scotent.co.uk

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There really is no set way to manage a website. Some people can handle mutli tasks while others can single task. If you want someone to manage content, then chances are, if it is a big site, thats the only thing that they will do.
    1) Manage Content
    2) Server Administrator
    3) Process Requests- for e-commerce site (helpdesk)
    4) Bulletin Board Mods

These are basic functions for administrators- whether its one site, or 50. You can work on more than one site, with one team of staff. IF they are small sites, you might just need 1-2 people, and can spend a couple hours a day doing everything. Server Administration for small sites- is no big deal. Really, its no deal. Managing content and updating is the hardest part- and replying to email is as well. Other than that...its all fun and games. Just my 2 cents.
    Darren Herman

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, it does depend. It depends on each different site. Every site is different and requires different work and different jobs. There is no one answer to this, and if you found somewhere where you read this, it probably wasn't entirely true. Remember, a lot of things are fiction on the Internet.
    Last edited by mjames; Mar 10, 2001 at 11:44.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it varies greatly according to the site.
    I'm preparing to launch a network of sites very soon and we currently have:

4 Owners
    5 Senior Content Providers
    And a few more standard content providers and forum mods - but most sites wouldn't need that many.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It also depends on the type of people you have helping you. If you do not choose wisely, you may end up spending more time telling them what to do and fixing their work than you would have doing it yourself.

On the other hand, if you manage to bring on someone who is extremely talented and enthusiastic, they may end up doing the work of 3 people!

If I were you I would just experiment over time. First see how you go yourself. IF you need help, bring on another person. THEN, see how you go with two. IF you still need help, bring on another person. Continue this until you are at a sustainable level you feel is appropriate.

That is a fairly structured method which seems to be what you are looking for.
    Brad Culbert
    SQL Server 2005 Books
    www.SQLServer2005Books.com - Reader-rated SQL Server 2005 Books