User Tag List

Thread: DTDs

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

I'm a relative newbie to this. See my website http://www.ozemail.com.au/~russwilson you'll notice it uses Lefteris menu system. That includes some things not commonly supported in the W3C DTDs (Body marginheight, e.g.). What need to know is (i) do the browsers make use of the doctype statement; (ii) for validation purposes (e.g., W3C) can I create my own and store it on my ISP server (my ISP server is a basic storage system, no programming available with the standard plan, so ... will the html files "read" a custom DTD stored on such a server, like they would read a .css file? (iii) does anyone know of pre-written DTDs; (iv) why doesn't HD6 allow syntax editing for its internal validation system; (v) what is the "TidyTool" I've seen mentioned.

Thanks,

Russ

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1. All browsers are supposed to follow the DTD if the statement is present. Both Netscape and IE have custom tags and attributes outside the DTD and they will parse these as well. If a browser doesn't support a tag it will just skip it.

2. You can only create your own DTD if you are using XML or XHTML. The browsers and validators will not recognize custom DTD's for HTML.

3. You can download the XHTML DTD's from www.w3c.org.

4. Only Sausage Software knows that one.

5. HTMLTidy is a standards compliant validator and code layout engine created by the W3C to help developers create standards compliant documents. You can find out more on their website.
    Last edited by Hierophant; Mar 9, 2001 at 09:42.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just a little Note, Mozilla has some problems..with DTDs.
    So if yo care alot about mozilla browsers, try to refrain frmo DTDs till they get their stuffs sorted on how to display certain elements properly with a specified DTDs.

View their Bug Reports for more information.

http://www.mozilla.org
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world."
    -- Albert Einstein