SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, there are some lurkers on this board doing some self interest marketing..
    I want to hear from the users. What are observed negatives or positives from using PayPal?

For me, a positive would be that I live in a country other than the US that is supported, and deposits can be made into a, eh, concealed account, so I can keep things quiet.

I've heard talk of unproffesional 'look' to the process. Has anyone received this type of comment from customers?

Curious for real opinions. thanks

Payment Acceptance Expert jconley2's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

I had a negative experience with PayPal myself, thus the reason why I don't suggest using them. A few months back I had won an auction on Ebay and the folks that were offering the item took PayPal so I thought I'd give it a whirl. First, I wasn't impressed with the fact I had to signup as a member of their's before I could even begin the ordering process of the auction I won. Which no doubt adds you to their mailing list so you end up receiving a bunch of "junk" mail from them. Many people know how that goes. But the thing that drove me nuts was when I had registered with them (or so I thought) it never even went through. So I e-mailed their support and ended up receiving a reply 48 hours or so later telling me to register again because they found no record of me. OK, so I went back and tried to register again and it refused this time because it said my address was on file, etc., etc. At that point I "threw in the towel" and just mailed the merchant a check.

The big downer I see with PayPal is the fact of dealing through a middleman. The merchant can't help you as they have no control. So if you run into a problem you have to wait till PayPal gets around to fixing it. That lack of control can cost sales and delays if problems exsist.

So there's my real opinion and experience with them, and again the reason why I suggest steering clear of them.

WorldPay (http://www.worldpay.com) would be your best solution. They are both cheap and I've heard good words from other clients of theirs.

Regards,
    Jim Conley II
    CEO/Founder - MerchantSeek
    Search FREE for a Merchant Account Provider based on your business needs and budget. We're your one stop information source on payment acceptance. Visit us at http://www.merchantseek.com

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, because I do not think they support Mexican accounts.

But I meant to hear from people that do not profit from this. Independents. Actual webmasters.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We use PayPal when building small business sites, that cannot afford to use PDG Shopping Cart (www.pdgsoft.com). The problem we run into with PayPal is that some customers don't want to pay the 2.2% + $0.30 fee for credit card payments. Other than that, it is extremely easy to implement, however you cant really update its look.
    Thats where we run into problems, however, for budget sites, its got its pro's and con's. PDG costs $795 but its completely customizable.
    Darren Herman

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    mamakawama,

I have to say that the comment you made about "profiting from this" has disappointed me and have decided to get on my "soapbox" to make a few things clear. Do realize I'm not angry, just disappointed.

And this goes for anyone else who thinks this way, also...

It seems to me that there are some people who feel the only reason I and many others post here on SitePoint is for our own personal profit. This disappoints me greatly. I, myself, and many others come here with an attitude of helping people... not just for personal profit (that's #2). Helping people understand payment acceptance is the whole reason I come here. That's my #1 priority. In fact, there are a number of occasions where I mention sites that I surely do not receive a profit from. WorldPay being one of them.

Hey, if people visit MerchantSeek, my site, if I mention it in a message and/or in my signature line, great... if not, fine. It's no big deal, really. Again, my sole purpose of being here is to help answer peoples questions and provide resources of places to check out. If the links I post aren't to my site, or haven't got an affiliate ID attached to them... I don't profit in any way. At least not money wise. I do gain credibility, though. And this also goes for the other people on here who have a genuine interest in helping people. Putting others before themselves.

I strongly believe if you put forth a good, solid, quality answer to a question then having someone visit your site (through a signature line, in this case) is more likely to happen. But first and foremost is answering the persons questions.

Anyway, I just wanted to give my "two cents" to not just let you know, but anyone else who thinks the same thing.

mamakawama, I've e-mailed WorldPay and asked if they do support Mexico-based businesses. If and when I hear back from them I'll post my findings here. If your interested in knowing, great... if not, no problem. Perhaps there's another (or will be another) Mexico-based business owner who is wondering themselves. In which case... I'm here (and others are here) to help YOU!

Kindest Regards,
    Jim Conley II
    Search FREE for a Merchant Account Provider based on your business needs and budget. We're your one stop information source on payment acceptance. Visit us at http://www.merchantseek.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    mamakawama and any other Mexico-based merchants,

WorldPay has contacted me and said they ARE able to provide merchant accounts to Mexico-based businesses. You can apply via their site at http://www.worldpay.com or you can contact the representative that e-mailed me, Marc Montaldi at 703-444-0260 x215 or by e-mail at: marc.montaldi@usa.worldpay.com

Regards,

Jim Conley II
    Last edited by jconley2; Mar 8, 2001 at 10:48.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe WorldPay should add the Mexican flag (to the thirteen others) on their homepage, where visitors are requested to select a region, if they are interested in business from here.

Disappointments aside, I am still interested in real opinions from webmasters.

Not angry, either, Mr.Conley. I've used your m.o. with success myself on other forums. Didn't say you were not genuine, just biased. A good salesman always lays the options in front of the customer. This builds confidence. He must care about my success, why else would he acknowledge other options. This is doubly important dealing with media savvy individuals, the likes of which one should expect in this sort of forum.

Best of luck in your endeavors.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    mamakawama,

I appreciate your prompt response. I want to extend any appologies if I had come across as being biased. Though in my humble opinion, I don't believe I have. I usually associate being biased as something you gain profit form. In articles for instance, I see some people posting their affiliate URL's which is viewed by many as biased because of the fact they are gaining profit from a sale that is transacted through the affiliates site.

Though I failed to mention other resources to you, mainly for the reason you seemed to be looking for a low cost solution. Which is something WorldPay offers. You may wish to check PlanetPayment (http://www.planetpayment.com) and IBill (http://www.ibill.com).

If you've read previous posts of mine here, and I'm sure you have, there are quite a few occasions where I've mentioned more than one resource.

I still don't see how I'm appearing to you as a "salesman" for the reason I'm not "selling" anything. Unless you consider "selling" you a good resource to check out. Which I will emphasize again... I'm not profiting from monetarily wise. I'm simply passing on the good words and experiences I've been hearing from those that are using the resources products and/or services, and of course of my own personal experiences. Take them for what they're worth.

I completely agree with your comment, "He must care about my success, why else would he acknowledge other options." Again, as I mentioned in my previous post, that's why I'm here. I'm here to help YOU, and anyone else with questions. If I wasn't concerned about your success I certainly wouldn't of posted to your message in the first place. Granted there are people who do like PayPal a lot. This applies to any product/service offering. You will find people on both sides of the court... those that like your offerings, and those that don't.

Thanks again for posting. And wish you luck in finding a good service for your credit card processing needs.

Regards,

Jim Conley II

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    PP's fees, while lower than most merchant accounts, aren't dirty cheap.

And the lack of clear intergration with a shopping cart hurts.

I wouldn't base an entire business on PP. But I would offer PP as a payment option along with credit cards.
    Ocean View Host - Affordable web hosting plans for any business.
    Modern Technology, Old Fashioned Value & Service!
    U.S. Merchant Services - Reliable merchant account services for all business!
    Quality People Providing A Quality Service!

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Directly to the question - I choose not to use paypal for my site because of my experience in trying to use it to pay for a product.

After the needlessly time consuming process of entering my personal date first time users are required to await a bank transaction to verify your account, after misc. emails back and forth a few days later you can finally actually use the thing.

Speaking about sales techniques I just think making potential customers jump through irritating and needless hoops while forcing them to wait days before the can SPEND THEIR MONEY is not a good idea (and turns a percentage of customers into NON-customers).

There were too many other viable options for my products to resort to (what is in my book) second best.
    Total Life Success - Don't give in. Succeed. (tm)

Total Life Success Forums - the Web's Leading
    Success Community™

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Go to http://www.blacklist.com and enter the name PayPal.
    Then have a good read of the rest of the entries,
    accessible from the links on the index page.

Woke me up, I can tell you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A lot of people are registered on PP. Many get into using PP via ebay or some other auction. They get used to paying with PP. So when they see PP as a payment option on a e-commerce site they are already familiar with it.

Yes, I agree trying to get new people signed up with PP before they can purchase from you will probably result in more lost customers than sales. NTL, for those already on PP why not let them pay that way if they want to?

I offer PP on my other site. While most of my sales are by direct CC each year we get a noticable portion of sales from PP that we might not otherwise have gotten.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with jaiem on this one. I think it may be good to have PayPal there as one of the secondary payment options, but you should also offer the traditional methods of payment such as credit card (via online form, voice phone and fax if possible), cheque etc. as the primary payment methods.

I have never actually used PayPal, however I do have an account and am planning on paying for some ezine advertising with them in the near future.
    Brad Culbert
    SQL Server 2005 Books
    www.SQLServer2005Books.com - Reader-rated SQL Server 2005 Books

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can no longer use Paypal as of 10 march

On entering paypal.com, there is a nice Australian flag among the flags of a number of other nations.

I sign up, I go into my account area and there is a notice.

It says that paypal is no longer letting international users withdraw to their credit card account.

They also do not let us withdraw to our cheque account or to any account (unless we live in Germany, Canada or UK.......)

And it is written elsewhere that they don't accept payment for us if we cannot withdraw it.

So basically as far as I can see, they advertise as being available for all these countries, but all you can do (if you want to RECEIVE money) is sign up and then have an empty account for the rest of your life (maybe one day they will resolve their disagreement with their credit card companies).

As with most other services now, Paypal is only beneficial to US customers.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    very interesting ...
    Darren Herman

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by mmj
    I can no longer use Paypal as of 10 march

It says that paypal is no longer letting international users withdraw to their credit card account.

They also do not let us withdraw to our cheque account or to any account (unless we live in Germany, Canada or UK.......)

Not sure what you mean by "...withdraw to their credit card accounts." I thought you could only transfer to and from a checking account.

If you meant direct transfer into/out of a checking account, then WOW! That's a real draw back!

Do they still let you just cut a check to be mailed to you?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like I will have the same problem as I am in Australia also.

Guess we will have to look for some other service.
    Brad Culbert
    SQL Server 2005 Books
    www.SQLServer2005Books.com - Reader-rated SQL Server 2005 Books

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello,

I have never used PayPal, so take my opinion for what it is worth©

However, I know that A LOT of eBayers use the service© It was also featured in PC Magizines Internet Business section as the future of e-money©

Even though I have never tried PayPAl, I have read PC Magizine for some time© And I belive in them and there reviews©

If they featured PayPal, it is a good thing in my mind©

Just my 2 cents©

Eric

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use paypal solely for the timebeing on 4templates.com. I was also using instabill as a secondary processor but had a few problems.

With paypal so far none so im happy with it. The trouble with instabill is I had the script setup to automatically email the files upon recieving a verification email. But instabill sends that email then places the order in a que wich can get declined eventually wich caused me to lose some content.

I do however want a secondary credit card provider that doesnt require signing up with thier service to use it. But havent found one that i really like yet.

I guess ill have to fork out the money for an actual merchant account.

Doni

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    jconley2,
    This forum (sitepoint) is superb for all the professionals that contribute. Even if they were all as biased as f*** towards their own products (which they're most definitely NOT!) I'd sense it or at least think for myself and draw my own conclusions.
    What can one say ?
    Apologies on behalf of anyone else that thinks like I do, and is grateful for all the help they receive here.
    Last edited by Gardener; Mar 26, 2001 at 14:30.
    All the world's a stage......

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gardener,

I'm afraid I'm at a loss for what you're trying to say. I'd like to respond to your post, but I'm clueless as to what you were trying to get across. Please explain.

I'm in full agreement that SitePoint is a place full of great, informative professionals.

Are you disagreeing with me on my previous posts in this thread? Sorry, I'm just trying to get a clear understanding.

Regards,

Jim Conley II
    Last edited by jconley2; Mar 26, 2001 at 14:37.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oops!
    I'm dead grateful for all the help I get here; felt offended by the way the originator kept dissing you - there's no need for it.
    I don't see anyone here trying to publicise their sites first and foremost; most people are trying to help others.
    Sorry about the incoherence in my earlier post.
    All the world's a stage......

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I personally find Jim's posts very informative and helpful as he knows what he is talking about. Also, I'm here to help people and also promote our business/services and so do many other people.

Anyway, that's just something I'd like to say
    - Son Nguyen
    AdSpeed.com - Ad Serving and Ad Management Made Easy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Gardener and Son! I appreciate your kind comments. I look forward to continued informative postings with both you, in the future, here on SitePoint.

Regards,

Jim Conley II

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    how much better is worldpay.com?