SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay first time post here guys, got some questions for you designers...

Is it just me or is Flash becoming more popular than using animated gifs?

If so is it now to the point that it is safe to imbed small Flash animations into your web page and be confident that the majority of visitors have flash or Macromedia installed?

What are some of the advantages of Flash over Gifs and vice versa?

Is Flash platform dependent or will it run on any browser that has it installed on whatever OS (ie. Mac running Netscape, or Linux running Netscape)?

Okay that's all for now

Thanks in advance.

BlackCatt

Misfit
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, the advantage of GIFs is you don't have to worry about your users having Flash installed. The advantage to Flash is it's much easier (and it looks better) to animate things while at the same time keeping file size down. So I recommend using small Flash animations when a lot of "animation" is needed, and using GIFs when little or no animation is needed.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Justin,

Thanks for the reply. I agree that Flash looks better and in general is more powerful, but do you see flash overtaking animated gifs as the preferred form of animation on web sites? I guess I just have a delima in that I want to add a little animation (about the size of a button) on a web site, but don't know which to use. If things are are moving toward flash and its becoming more of a standard I was going to just use that, but if there is going to be a decent percentage of people who don't have Flash installed and / or just can't view Flash, then I will probably either do an animated gif, or just forget the animation all together.

Any comments or suggestions about such a delima?

BlackCatt

Misfit
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, I can see Flash taking the place of animated GIFs, but not anytime soon. Sometimes you'll see a small Flash animation (http://www.photoshopclub.com) on a website, but no major e-commerce or professional sites. It's really up to you.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The flash plug-in is now bundled with all the major browsers and also comes with windows so I think it may be sooner rather than later
    www.gr8-business.com
    Free software and tips to
    promote your site.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Justin, thanks again for your input. BTW, that site photoshopclub is really tight, and has some really good useful info. Of course Ady has a point that flash is at least an option with majority of the major browsers, but at the same time, who knows how long it will take for people to upgrade their browsers to the newest versions. I guess the more people put flash on their sites, the more people who will install Flash. I guess for now I will postpone using Flash.

Well thanks for all of the info and advice guys.

BlackCatt

Houston, Tejas; Future Capital of the World
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's also a little easier to make a flash based animation sometimes than an animated gif.

And also the newest version of Dreamweaver (4.0) comes with a flash button maker for rollover flash animation effects.

The downside is, even with flash prebundled, some browsers still ask you to download the most recent version of the plugin (even though it works ok as is).

Also check out a program called Swish - very usefull for making swi/swf files that work as flash sets.

And don't forget, with flash you can also add sound and interactivity.
    Brian Poirier
    SunStockPhoto: Stock Photos, Fine Art Photos, Event Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You could also offer the choice. Flash and Corel RAVE give you the option of saving as a GIF animation so for very little extra work you have the option of offering a Flash/No Flash site.

Simon

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Downside of Flash is that it loads a plugin which slows down the computer. If I have a site which makes my PC go wild I just turn it off so I don't risk any crashes. Strong points though are the good compression (and still good quality) and of course the fact that you can include effects which would make ppl click on it. (sound effects on mouse over,...)