SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Hybrid View

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm under the impression generally banner ads should be only animated gifs - for ease of insertion - , but client requests a rollover effect. Can I somehow incorporate the js so it's a complete single package? It's only being placed on 1 or 2 government sites. Thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Jasonwcs
    I'm under the impression generally banner ads should be only animated gifs - for ease of insertion - , but client requests a rollover effect. Can I somehow incorporate the js so it's a complete single package? It's only being placed on 1 or 2 government sites. Thanks.
    You can't include JS in an Animated Gif. The only way this is possible to put the JS in the HTML of the page or just use Macromedia Flash .

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Say you've got 2 gifs for the rollover (as is normal).

It's just the case here that the gifs are animated...use JS to trigger the rollover...

(Unless I've misunderstood your question!)
    Let's be careful out there!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your banner can be premised on a layer. You put your images (animated gifs or not) inside this, and then use CSJS to manipulate them.

Remember, you can create animations from static graphics by using the setTimeout or setInterval setInterval methods to control the frame rate of the individual images.
    These images could be image maps, so in theory rolling over an hyperlink in one of the maps could manipulate the entire animation.

It sounds complicated, but it certainly can be done, although i've never had recourse to attempt it before. Moreover, it's a better solution - in terms of usability - than using Flash, because it's based entirely around DHTML and therefore doesn't require any third party plugins.

Cheers. Scot-Bot.