SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

licence on scripts?

Hi

Here is my question. It is not directly a scripting question, but it really is a question asked to the javascript community.

Let's say that there is something you want to achieve. You see that exact thing on a website. I guess that the first thing that most people do is view the source and copy the code. However, It makes me feel really uneasy to do that (therefore I keep on struggling with some stuff, or finding my answers in tutorials, which are nort always exactly what I am looking for).

What are your thoughts on people scripting their code based on others code?

thanks in advance for your time

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by duuudie
    Let's say that there is something you want to achieve. You see that exact thing on a website. I guess that the first thing that most people do is view the source and copy the code. However, It makes me feel really uneasy to do that (therefore I keep on struggling with some stuff, or finding my answers in tutorials, which are nort always exactly what I am looking for).

What are your thoughts on people scripting their code based on others code?
    If you like the site, and you want to apply it to yours, then I think the answer is pretty simple. Ask the web master.

If they are ok with you copying the design, then go ahead and use it. If the design was done by a professional outfit, then you may have to pay for it. If the design was released as open source, then you are free to use it as long as you leave all copyright messages intact.

You never know, the website owner may be flattered by your request!

Go ahead and ask the owner if you can replicate their design for your own site and keep us up to date on what they have to say!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My question was more on javascript goodies than design itself. But you're right, asking is a good idea.

More comments and thoughts are welcome

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As long as you are not copying the scripts verbatim, just using them to learn the methodology, I can't see there is a problem. Really, there is nothing new under the sun as far as code is concerned. You can be pretty certain that every trick you see has been independently duplicated elsewhere at some time or another. There are, after all, only so many ways to skin a cat. Every good coder has copped chops from others.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Look for a license first. Lots of scripts are released under the GPL and LGPL (such as MikeFoster's X library), so if one of those is available you should be okay as long as you follow the license's terms. If you see the script on a random site, then yes ask the people who run/build the site. Remember that in a corporate setting (i.e. you want a script that the BBC website uses) it may take a little longer to get a response because the webmaster is most likely not the person who can make that decision.