SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi I am very new to programming and have recently completed Kevin Yanks brilliant tutorial. I have read the Wrox book "Beginning PHP and would now like to try and progress a little further. I do not feel ready to begin writing my own scripts so was wondering could anyone point me in the direction of a tutorial that would take me a little further.
    Many thanks Kevin1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So my suggestion is try to play with some scripts (premade) and modify them if needed. Find some scripts at: www.hotscripts.com / www.thescripts.com...
    Some tutorials: www.devshed.com, www.phpbuilder.com
    - Son Nguyen
    AdSpeed.com - Ad Serving and Ad Management Made Easy

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the URL's Son I'll check them out!

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How do i start working on a database driven web site pending my installation of mysql. At the same time, i have a hosting company that is opposed to using telnet to connect to their mysql server for security reasons.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi fashola
    Can't you install a server application on a standalone PC such a Win PWS or IIS or perhaps Sambar server which can be downloaded free. Once you have this it is possible to install MySQL and PHP and you can run all the scripts you want without any need for an Internet connection. Just set up a virtual directory and when you use your browser, type in the directory name where your scripts are:
    [url]http://MachineName/VirtualDirectory/ScriptName.?

I am fairly new to all this myself so someone will probably read this and post a correct solution to your question, if indeed I even understood the question correctly.

Hope this is some help!
    Good luck kevin1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    there are several options for you.

www.firepages.com.au has a good bundle containing PHP, mySQL and Apache. This bundle contains the Windows version of these pieces of software.

Another suggestion and the one I personally use is www.nusphere.com. They also offer a bundle, but theirs also contains Perl 5, Plus their bundle is easier to install.

In an aside, your company may not support Telnet, but do they support SSH? SSH is much more secure than Telnet anywa and it works pretty much the same.
    Adobe Certified Coldfusion MX 7 Developer
    Adobe Certified Advanced Coldfusion MX Developer
    My Blog (new) | My Family | My Freelance | My Recipes

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks to kevin 1 and creole for your attention and i wish to say that i visited the proposed web sites. By the way i don't have a pc but a macintosh.

For the next coming weeks i want to grasp the fundamentals by visiting nusphere.com and firepages.com.au and try my hands working with premade scripts from hostcripts, thescripts and devshed.
    Again i got a feedback from my hosting company.. and by the way what is SSh?. Thanks to you all.
    Last edited by fashola; Mar 13, 2001 at 09:21.