Hi,
Let me put some pieces of code first and then I'll explain

------------------------------------------------------------------------

<style type="text/css"><!--
#l1 {position: absolute; z-index: 1; width: 40px; top: 20px; left: 20px;}
--></style>

<body bgcolor="white" onLoad="ini_color()">

<div id="l1">| <a href="javascript:change(1)" id="p1" class="normal"><b>1</b></a> |</div>

function ini_color() {
if (ie4) {
document.all.p1.style.color = "red";
}
if (n4) {
document.l1.document.write("| <a href='avascript:change(1)' id='p1' class='ovr'><b>1<\/b><\/a> |")
document.l1.document.close()
}
}

in external style sheet:
a.normal:link {text-decoration: none; color: blue; font-family: arial, helvetica, sans-serif}
a.normal:visited {text-decoration: none; color: blue; font-family: arial, helvetica, sans-serif}
a.ovr:link {text-decoration: none; color: red; font-family: arial, helvetica, sans-serif}
a.ovr:visited {text-decoration: none; color: red; font-family: arial, helvetica, sans-serif}
body {color: black; font-family: arial, helvetica, sans-serif}
div {color: black; font-family: arial, helvetica, sans-serif}

------------------------------------------------------------------------
You can find the page here. The onLoad function helps to demonstrate the problem I have with NN (IE is perfect). When the DIV changes color, it slightly shifts its position (view the page with NN to see). What's causing it?

I was suggested to use <ilayer> insrtead, but I've never used it before. Should it just be
<ilayer id="l1">| <a href="javascript:change(1)" id="p1" class="normal"><b>1</b></a> |</ilayer>
or should it be
<ilayer><layer id="l1">....</layer></ilayer>

And what is a proper way to reffer to that <ilayer> in NN? May be I was looking in all the wrong places, but i couldn't find any info on that.

I need to change that number's color, but not onmOuseOver/onMouseOut, but using my own function whenever needed (I do not need to create any hover effects).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.