SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is probably a dumb question. Is there a way to use php on a html page? I want use include and pass a variable, but it would be very helpfull to be able to do it on a html page.
    Of course it works fine for me on a php page, say index.php
    But it does not work on index.html. I would guess it is because you have to tell the server, this is a php page.

Is there a way to do this? The reason I would like this to work is that I have many older pages, all html that I would like to use include to update, long story. Anyways an example of the include:

index.php

<?php

$site_no="1234";

include ("http://someserver/somefile.inc.php");

?>

Somefile:

<?php

echo "This is site #$site_no";

?>

Of course this works fine if the file I try to include it to has the extesion of php. Can I do it had was index.html??

Thanks.

ronnie
    The largest selection of PLR Articles on the Planet!
    Many Private Label Rights Products.

imagine no limitations exbabylon's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yup.. it's very easy... I just added this to my site because I had some old .html files that needed to be parsed by php

add this to your .htaccess file in your home dir (the one with the index.* file in it....

Code:
    AddType text/x-server-parsed-php .html
    So there! It's that simple! PHP now will parse *.html files!However, if you use SSI on your *.htnl files then you need to remove this line from your .htaccess file:

Code:
    AddType text/x-server-parsed-html .html
    Because the server don't like doing both at the same time... just replace your <!--#blah--> with

PHP Code:
    <?php
    include "filedir/file.ext";
    ?>
    It does the same job.... and from now on, just forget using SSI on *.html files... use PHP! Also, as you can figure you could set PHP to parse whatever files you wanted it to... but don't have it do *.cgi, *.pl, *.shtml, *.ssi, *.cfm, or any other pre-set serverside language that you have not configured with the .htaccess file... it will cause problems...
    Blamestorming: Sitting around in a group discussing why a deadline was missed or a project failed and who was responsible.

Exbabylon- Professional Internet Services

Dumb PHP codin' cat
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What server are you using

Apache instructions:
    If you have access to the httpd.conf file simply find the line that says AddType application/x-httpd-php4 .php .phtml and *** .html to the end of it

Or on a per directory basis create a file named .htaccess and put this line it and stick it in the folder where you want to parse .html as php

AddType application/x-httpd-php4 .html

Let me know if you are using some other web server
    Please don't PM me with questions.
    Use the forums, that is what they are here for.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Freddy And Exbabylon!

I use .htaccess some right now, so this would be a perfect solution. I was thinking that could work, or thought I had read it some where. Course I was'nt sure what to put into the file to make it work.

I'm pretty sure my domains are on apache. Sounds bad that I don't know, but hey, thats why I pay for hosting..hehehehe

One question exbabylon, I've seen the code freddy suggested, but yours is different, what is it x-server?

AddType text/x-server-parsed-php .html

Just kinda new to me,course what is'nt..

Thanks again!

ronnie

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just tried adding

AddType application/x-httpd-php .html

to my htaccess and it worked perfect! My include came up and actually with alot of html code and it came up pretty fast.

Thanks again!

P.S. Does any one know of any good .htaccess info? There seems to be a lot you can do with it. I know apache provides all the information, but does any one know of plain english, maybe tutorials?

ronnie

Mlle. Ledoyen silver trophy seanf's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try http://www.internet-tips.net/Webmaster/htaccess.htm it is written so that the rest of us can understand it !

Sean

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Neat trick! But is there any disadvantage to doing this? Any potential complications?

Thanks.

imagine no limitations exbabylon's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    not really... just that SSI won't work on *.html pages if you set SSI to parse those...
    Blamestorming: Sitting around in a group discussing why a deadline was missed or a project failed and who was responsible.

Exbabylon- Professional Internet Services

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The advantage, like in my case. I have many older html pages that if I changed to .php, they would'nt be the same pages, say for pages that are in the SE's.. So you can still use the wonderfully world of php on those pages.

Course this is something I just learned thanks to all the helpfull people here..

ronnie