SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hope this is the right forum to post this in...
    SO you have a cool idea for a website or a service, what do you do then. How do you know if it is worth developing???
    Do you just start working on the site or service? Do you sleep on it and if you still like it in the morning you develop it? What kind of research do you do?

I'd love to know your thoughts on this and how you have done it in the past with services or sites that you have!
    -Nick

Skills to Pay the Bills Sparkie's Avatar
    A cave with 47 computers and an internet feed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whenever I get a great idea, I can't sleep! I'm so excited about it that I actually sketch it out on paper and label it. After that I give it about a day or two and see if I'm still interested in developing it, and if I am..then I go for it

********* Callithumpian silver trophy freakysid's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I keep my ideas in a box under my bed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I stick a note onto my desk/monitor, when there is no place to stick, I review it, 50% of them go directly to the recycled bin, 50% compressed into 10% (rewrite together with other ideas), then stick it again. Seems to be a useless process eh Anyway, I did get some done.

People, share how you manage your ideas, I'd love to hear it. Glad you brought up this topic, Macromedia.
    - Son Nguyen
    AdSpeed.com - Ad Serving and Ad Management Made Easy

Serial Publisher silver trophy aspen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just keep them in mind - and wait till I have the free time to work on them. Time is something I don't have alot of right now though.

I have about 3 websites in my mind that I know I want to development if time ever allows.
    Chris Beasley - I publish content and ecommerce sites.
    Featured Article: Free Comprehensive SEO Guide
    My Guide to Building a Successful Website
    My Blog|My Webmaster Forums

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use about the same process as Sparkie, but I was thinking that maybe I need to do some research and more planning before I invest time into any project. Especially with large projects that will consume a lot of time...

This has turned out to be an interesting thread so far, keep posting!
    -Nick

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I usually forget I have the idea then a few years later somebody makes a million bucks from it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If someone had asked me this question a year ago (or, say, 6 months ago even), I'd have answered it very differently.

Back then, I'd probably tell you that I would drop what I was doing (if I really liked the idea), and work with the idea for several days - creating a logo and a site layout, and handling some of the programming involved. I'd also then likely tell you that, unless the project was going well, I would likely ditch it halfway.

These days, I'd tell you that unless it was a *very* good idea, I'd just tuck it away either on a post-it note or in my head, and try to find time to test the waters with it sometime in the future.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by LuZeR
    I usually forget I have the idea then a few years later somebody makes a million bucks from it.
    Oh so that's where that idea went!!!
    body { background:#000000; color:#000000 }
    HEY, WHO TURNED OUT THE LIGHTS?!?
    Easy come easy go!!!
    CryingWolf

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    when i've got a really good idea
    it must be when i'm about to sleep.
    i'd be too lazy to get up to scribble it down
    so i'll lie in my bed, tossing the idea around in my head
    exploring every alternative

that happened to me once, i didn't sleep at all... i thought abt the idea for like 6 hours...

but if its just --another-- idea, i'd leave it in my head, and when i'm bored or in the toilet i'd think about it.

to see if its worth developing, i'd see why it'll succeed, why people will visit and why it is different.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wish I could answer your question but I haven't had any good ideas yet. I had some stupid ones though....

If I ever do get one, I would probably think about it for awhile and then work on it if I think it would turn out alright.
    -Wedge231 chris@c-wod.com

AIM: chriswodman593 | ICQ: 37230642 | MSN: chriswodman@hotmail.com

Freelance Web Designer KeithMcL's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I too always get my ideas when i'm trying to fall asleep

I normally get up, write down the pros and cons to the idea, wait another 2-3 hours before I fall asleep, wake up in the morning and think to myself "Why did you think that was a good idea?" and then bin it

I do, however, have a few alright ideas, that I plan to work on when I get some time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have often had ideas for web sites, but knew that realistically they would just remain ideas and wouldn't get developed immediately. Whatever works for you, do it. Whether you can keep it in your mind, or if you have to write it down so you don't forget, do it, it might turn into something later!

chown linux:users\ /world Hartmann's Avatar
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I usually will write the idea down, make a flow chart of it or draw it, then try to use it. If the idea is something that will take some money, I usually talk to another company to make it a reality

Almeaty Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maybe i am the most creative person with lots of innovative ideas. I'm so excited to start right away. i search for a good title of the service and register a domain. after about half a year when the project is 80% complete i discover that i already have lots of competion sites around me with the same concept... again i think about it if it's really worth continuing the project. mostly i come to the end to give up and cancel the project. that's why i haven't got anything complete now i could have been veeery rich now, if i just worked harder and especially FASTER!

********* Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    DIMA: is there some sort of "link" between us? (Just kidding.) I have NEVER got anything done yet, apart from my site which has been "coming soon" for ages but I realised I had billions of sites competing. That site has changed from PCtuneup to TweakPro, has had 6 redesigns, and I have still not opened it... That was for a year and a half now. I'm sure very soon I will open another site, because if there's one thing I got from that adventure was experience - only noone knows about it.