User Tag List

Thread: 17" Monitor

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am in a bit of a dilemma!

I am planning to buy a 17" monitor; the amrket only stocks three worth looking at..

There is Samsung, LG and Philips. There is also Viewsonic but the curvature and color are not quite acceptable..

Any comments about The Chosen Three?

Thanks a bunch!
    Mustafa.
    EDGEMA "It is more rewarding to explore than to reach conclusions, more satisfying to wonder than to know, and more exciting to search than to stay put."

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tend to like LG and NEC - I've had good experiences with both of those. The LG Flatron looks very nice and is excellent quality as well, so that is certainly an option woth considering. I'm not sure whether NEC do a 17" version of their MultiSync but I've used their 19" one and it is fabulous.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a Samsung SyncMaster 750s and it is super clear and super cheap. I think I purchased it for $350 Canadian including shipping and taxes. That is about $230 US.

17 inch of course.
    "Over 2200 Free Webmaster Resources and Tools"
    Search through our continually updated directory of free webmaster resources.
    WebmasterLane.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

My favorites are the Sony (very expensive) and LG. I own a LG 17" and it's great!

Clear, great picture and above all it didn't cost me an arm and a leg. Another nice monitor I have found was the Compaq 17" a great little unit, beautiful picture.

.NET Code Monkey

Don't get too close, I bite! Nicky's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a Hansol and it seems fine to me. I have used Sonys before and if you can afford it then I would definitely recommend them!

Fluffy Kitten Programmer~ Elledan's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been using Philips monitors since '92 and never felt the urge to switch brand.

My brother even still uses the Philips 14B monitor (15", @1024x768x16) without problems. On my 'old' PC, I've hooked up a Philips 14C monitor, which is already more than 5 years old.

I'm currently using the 17" 107S21 monitor @1280x960. It's not a flatscreen monitor, but a SOHO-monitor, which means that it's unbelievable cheap

Go with Philips and you won't have any problems. Every monitor-review I've seen in which a Philips monitor was tested, this monitor always did a fine job. And they're not as expensive as most other brands.

Wow, does this sound like an advertisement or what?
    www.nyanko.ws - My web-, software- and game development company.
    www.mayaposch.com - My personal site and blog.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Compaq have great computer monitors... I have been able to compare my screen with some of the 17" in school and there's a tremendous difference.

But I think LG are quality screens as well. Philips is Dutch, and is good (wow! ), but they're never the best

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks all for your wonderful support and advice.
    I think I'll opt for the LG - it seems crisper and the colors were a little more vibrant. Otherwise, I might look for Philips..

Once again thanks for your comments!
    EDGEMA "It is more rewarding to explore than to reach conclusions, more satisfying to wonder than to know, and more exciting to search than to stay put."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any particular reason you're getting a 17" monitor? They're not bad or anything, but I would get a 19".

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by M. James
    Any particular reason you're getting a 17" monitor? They're not bad or anything, but I would get a 19".
    In going with your signature (640K..), I can quite understand your stance on getting 19" monitors! But unfortunately my budget is currently for a 17" one..

As it is I have never used one greater than 15" in all my 15 years of computer usage!! So I am satisfied with getting 17"//

::|:..