SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I have been reading for a while now and I think it's time to step up to the plate and get a full blown merchant account. Before I do, I would really like the opinion of all of you.

I'm not really sure how you implement the Merchant Services Provider into your web site, but I'm hoping that anyone that I go with will be able to explain it all to me (if you guys can't).

If you could do the following for me:

Name of Merchant Service Provider :
    Costs Associated :
    Pros :
    Cons :
    Things to watch out for:
    Would you reccommend again:
    Contact there (this would be great if I decide to go with them)

Anything else I didn't think of.

Thanks so much for the help,

JOsh

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Josh - Finding the right online payment processing setup can be a pain, but I know what you mean - you gotta do it if you wanna sell stuff on the Net and not wind up paying 10% - 20% for 3rd party processing like ClickBank or some of the others.

Some of it depends on your site and what youíre selling. Some banks still donít get it, and have such tough restrictions that theyíre not worth considering. Iíve been through the mill looking for the right payment processing for a weekly financial newsletter I sell online, with the worst of all being NetBilling.com. Complete horror story - _forget them_ ! I finally went with iBill. They are considered an Ďadultí payment provider, but they also handle all kinds of other sites, and have pretty decent customer service. www.worldpay.com is another good one. Can you get a merchant account from you bank? Do they understand Internet billing? We got ours through Signature Card Services, (888) 334-2284 but havenít been with them long enough to be able to recommend them yet.

Hereís a good site that features lots of payment processing sources and rates them etc: www.Merchantseek.com . The guy that runs it is very helpful.

Hereís what worked best for me: I sent them all a very detailed email, stating I didnít want to pay a set up fee, they had to have recurring billing, I had to be able to use my signup, card declined, card accepted pages etc., gave them my site to review, etc. and then saw who had the best service and rates. One iron clad rule I have is never doing business with a site that doesnít feature a phone number - period. Weíre all so busy - when I need an answer I need it _now_.

A fabulous setup, (one of the best on the Web), is AccessPoint Communications. www.apc.net. Call Frank or Claudia at 1-800-977-4770 x 106 or 121 and mention my name. Hereís a real friendly, professional, _responsive_ organization that will help you with your payment processing, online ordering, etc, etc.

Good luck, hope everything goes well.

Earl Brown
    skystar@silcom.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Charge.com has been given very high rating by many people.

As Skystar said, it depends what you want/need from a merchant account. Shop around.
    Ocean View Host - Affordable web hosting plans for any business.
    Modern Technology, Old Fashioned Value & Service!
    U.S. Merchant Services - Reliable merchant account services for all business!
    Quality People Providing A Quality Service!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    <<ADVISOR EDIT>>
    Last edited by Chicken; Mar 24, 2001 at 13:29.