SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am making a web site using MS Publisher 98.
    It looks great, but I want to know how to make the site automatically center itself
    in different browsers and moniters. I am just aligning things to the left at this point,
    so that older browsers won't have to scroll sideways.
    Since I use Publisher, I have no useful knowledge of html...
    Any advice?
    Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [size=4]

Let me blunt and possibly a little rude and suggest that your software choice is not the best. I am not exactly sure how you would do it with Publisher, but I can walk you through it with HTML.

Open Notepad. Click File | Open. Change the bottom drop-down menu to All Files instead of text. Find and open your existing HTML document that you created with Publisher. It should end with a .html or .htm

Immediatley after and before your Body tags place Div tags to align center.
    Code:
    <body>
    <div align="center">
    </div>
    </body>
    </html>

[/size=4]
    Last edited by westmich; Mar 4, 2001 at 23:25.
    Westmich
    Smart Web Solutions for Smart Clients
    http://www.mindscapecreative.com

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You could have been much ruder! I know I need to get better program eventually, also
    a better computer.
    I have tried to follow your directions, but the html file is too big for Note pad, so it opened
    in Word pad. But it was just squares and jibberish......
    Then I tried inserting an html fragment beside the logo at the top, and it behaves the same
    as anything I could put there, it just makes room for it...

Maybe someone would look at the site and tell me if it even needs centering?
    I can center it on Publisher so it is centered on my browser, but I have left it aligned left for
    older smaller browsers and moniters....

http://www.darkhorsestables.com

THANKS! I can handle much ruder if you take a notion.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When you opened the file in word pad, did you open the .html (the "published to web file") file or the .pub file? I noticed that if you make a web page with MS Publisher and just save the file it saves it as a publisher document and you wouldn't be able to open that with Word Pad. When you select to Publish to Web Site Folder (in the File menu) it will save the file as a .html file and you should be able to open the .html file in word pad without any problems.
    Good Luck
    --Bill
    Lake Superior Smokin' Brews Make It Different: Brew Your Own!
    L'Etoile du Nord Web Development Providing Real Direction in a Virtual World
    MSN IM: smokinbrews-AT-hotmail-DOT-com
    Brewin', Vintin' & Smokin' Forums Moderator

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    </head>
    <body bgcolor="#000000" link="#333333" vlink="#333333" text="#000000" topmargin=0 leftmargin=0>
    <a name=top></a>

<a name=bottom></a>
    </body>
    </html>

Thanks Bill! Was able to open it up via your instructions in word pad. These are the only two body tags I could find, one at the top, and one at the bottom. Of the first page anyway, haven't even looked at the other pages...
    How would I insert the align code into that?
    And then....HOW do I get it back to my Publisher program to insert it into that??
    sigh.....

Thanks for any input!
    Frances

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Put the <div align="center> right after the <body> tag and a </div> right before the </body> tag (the way westmich put in his post). There will be only one of each on each page.

What you will probably have to do is finish the page, publish it to a web folder and then add the code there, and then ftp it to your host. I'm guessing that MS Publisher just overwrites the .html file when you update the page, so whenever you update the site you will probably have to insert that bit of code.

I'd recommend examining the html code that MS Pub generates to see how it works and pick up a good book on html (Teach Yourself Web Publishing with HTML 3.2 in a Week by Laura Lemay is pretty good--but HTML 4 is the standard now). Then either start coding your pages by hand or use a good html editor that lets you edit the code (you can find all kinds of recommendations for them in these forums). Looking at the code that MS Pub generates, it appears to generate a bunch of unecessary tags. The sample page it created for me is almost twice the size of my index page for my website. And my index page has about the same amount of content as the MS Pub page--probably more.
    Good Luck
    --Bill
    Lake Superior Smokin' Brews Make It Different: Brew Your Own!
    L'Etoile du Nord Web Development Providing Real Direction in a Virtual World
    MSN IM: smokinbrews-AT-hotmail-DOT-com
    Brewin', Vintin' & Smokin' Forums Moderator

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't want to start controversy but I really suggest you downloading 1st Page from Evrsoft. Its free and its features are wonderful. Check it out:

http://www.evrsoft.com

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you all. I will try to do it...(am breaking out in hives and have gotten out the brown liquor...)
    Will check out 1st page.

Thanks!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    be patient with me guys....have managed to put the thing on 1st Page, have put the html and everyhting centers nicely now, have downloaded 1st transfer for ftp, have even been able to make 1st Page recognize that I have 1st transfer.
    BUT I'm stuck there. Can't figure out how to make things upload.
    Help??!!!

Thanks!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have managed to center and upload the first page, but the rest won't center for me..
    Could that possibly have anything to do with where the html says align left in places?

Frances