SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This doesnt really apply to this forum, but I couldnt find anywhere else to post this question :

On my site I am using a PHP script, that stores information in 2 text format files (these files and the PHP have to be in the same directory), now I dont want snoopers looking at the contents of these files so I have hidden them behind htaccess.

Problem is I cant call the php script from a page outside the htaccess without the user having to enter a password (which I dont want, as it defeats the point)

Any suggestions??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try this:

If in the PHP files you have to specify the name of the text files, for example:

require "myfile.txt"

try placing the text file inside a new directory, and changing the name you specify to:

require "directory/myfile.txt"

Password protect the new directory.

I'm sorry if this isn't of much help, but it's the best I can do!
    EthosOnline.com - Creative Online Solutions, Design & Print, Event Management & IT Consultancy

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can see where your going and it looks like the only way I can do what I want. So next question is can a PHP script call a TXT file that is hidden behind htaccess without having to enter a password

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It can as long as it is on the same server. Instead of calling it as http://www.yourdomain.com/textfile.txt it looks for it as the /home/whereever/textfile.txt on the server. And since .htaccess only protects file from a web browser, then the script does not require a password.
    John Reyes
    HostRocket.com Support