SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi, I am opening an online retail store, and I was wondering what kind of copyright or disclaimer messages I will need. Is there a website I could go to to learn about what I may need and how to write them? The websites' disclaimers I have looked over all seem to be very similar and "cookie-cutter" style so it seems like it would be easy to adapt a generic discalimer or copyright notice to my own website. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Usually, a simple "Page contents copyright © YourCompany 2001" will do just the trick. If you don't do yours exactly right or something, you won't get in legal trouble, do not worry.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by M. James
    Usually, a simple "Page contents copyright © YourCompany 2001" will do just the trick. If you don't do yours exactly right or something, you won't get in legal trouble, do not worry.
    I was also wondering about this. Any web site (even if it's not e-commerce), would just be allowed to write:

"Copyright© 2001 XXXXXX.com. All rights reserved."

You don't have to register this copyright anywhere? You just post it on your website, and it becomes a legal copyright. Am I correct?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been told there's a "common law" copyright (or something of similar name) where you basically just have to prove you wrote it first and not actually filed for a (c) letter. Someone here once said you can print it out and snail-mail it to yourself. Leave the envelop sealed. The postmark is proof of the date. I'm not a lawyer but that sounds reasonable.

As to disclaimer seems you would need something that says people are responsible for their own use of your products and by purchasing from you they agree to "hold harmless" you for any problems.

Keep in mind a disclaimer is just a defense. It won't actually stop you from being sued.
    Ocean View Host - Affordable web hosting plans for any business.
    Modern Technology, Old Fashioned Value & Service!
    U.S. Merchant Services - Reliable merchant account services for all business!
    Quality People Providing A Quality Service!

Don't get too close, I bite! Nicky's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The snail mail thing doesn't hold up in court in the UK! I heard about it too and asked a solicitor. But basically if you think of something and implement it then it is copyrighted to you!

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi GrantShady,

Run a search here on the forum for prior posts of mine on the subject(s) - let me know if they don't answer your questions or is there's any confusion.

Best of luck and much respect for thinking ahead on the legal issues.
    Total Life Success - Don't give in. Succeed. (tm)

Total Life Success Forums - the Web's Leading
    Success Community™