User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Xoops System No Longer Connects to MySQL Database

Hi everyone.

Firslty, before I go on, I have already successfully installed IIS6, MySQL, php, and Xoops onto our internal Intranet which runs on Microsoft Server 2003. My problem relates pruely to MySQL and its connection to Xoops.

When I installed MySQL I made sure I typed 'mysql-nt --install' to ensure MySQL ran as a service and would run if the server was ever rebooted.

Recently, the server was logged off (which I had not done since installaing Xoops successfully). While it was logged off, no connection to the Xoops system could be done. I got the error

"Unable to connect to database in file d:/blah/blah/blah/databasefactory.php".

Even when I logged back onto the server the same applied, even though winmysqladmin launched automatically. I checked task-manager and that showed mysql-nt.exe as running too.

If I shelled to DOS to c:\mysql\bin and typed 'mysql' and then 'show databases;', all it shows is the 'test' database. Even though when I navigate to the c:\mysql\data folder, my Xoops database is there, as well as the est database. The same applied using winmysqladmin.exe, even though it has a green light.

If I go straight to http://fct.local/phpMyAdmin I get the error

"Error 1045 : Access denied for user root@locahost"

Does anyone have any ideas what has gone wrong? If it worked before and Xoops was able to connect and install itself, why now, having logged off, does it not reconnect? I use
    IIS6,
    MySQL 4.0.20
    PHP 4.3.6
    phpMyAdmin 2.5.7
    IIS6
    W2&3 Server
    Xoops 2.0.6

Any help much appreciated.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorted it.

Closed down MySQL service, and then opened a DOS shelled instance of mysqld-nt --skip-grant-tables from c:\mysql\bin. Then I flushed the password for root by typing

mysqladmin -u root flush-privileges password "entered a new password"

and pressed enter. Then I shutdown the service again by typing mysqladmin -u root -p shutdown. It asked me for the password and shutdown. I then re-started it and hey presto!

Now got to work out why it did it in the first place!

If anyone else has this problem got to http://dev.mysql.cm/dc/mysql/en and look up 'resetting root permissions'.