I won't hesitate to say I'm very new to PHP, and getting into query strings is probably way over my level. I found a pretty good tutorial that introduced it very well, and using a bit of what I thought to be logic, I was hoping I could do something a bit more complicated. Apparently I messed up somewhere. It's not an error, but more that the test data I put in isn't displaying on the site and there's no sign of it in the source code. I'm pretty sure I know which file the issue is in, so I'll post that contents of that here. If it looks fine, I can share my other files as well.
The $desc variable is placed within cont.php.
if($HTTP_GET_VARS['char'] == 'Keitaro')
$desc = "$keit";
elseif($HTTP_GET_VARS['char'] == 'Naru')
$desc = "$naru";
elseif($HTTP_GET_VARS['char'] == 'Kitsune')
$desc = "$mits";
$PageTitle = ("Winter Wish - Character Profiles");
$LocFile = ("profile.php");
$LocTitle = ("Character Profiles");