SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How can I publish my databases online?

I've figured out how to create databases, usernames and passwords in my C-Panel. Even though I find phpMyAdmin difficult to work with, I was able to publish tables to databases on two different webhosts. But tonight I seem to have hit a brick wall.

I open up phpMyAdmin, click the "Query Window" link, click "Import Files," browse to the files I want to import, and click on through. One of the frustrating things is that phpMyAdmin always indicates a successful operation, whether your table was successfully uploaded or not. That makes it confusing if your simply publishing a revised table. In this case, one table I'm publishing is brand new - and I have yet to see it pop up online.

If I remember correctly, I initially used "Autodetect," thinking it would cover all my bases, but I couldn't publish tables until I switched to "None." At any rate, I tried all three choices tonight - Autodetect, None and GZipped. I was trying to import tables one at a time.

Then I exported my entire database as a compressed file and tried importing it using both Autodetect and GZipped, again without success. I had so many problems with foreign keys ("referential integrity" errors, etc.), that I've pretty much stopped using keys, yet I still can't get my tables online.

Are there other strategies for getting database tables online? I'm using a program called Navicat, which is much nicer than phpMyAdmin in most respects, but I don't think it can be used to publish databases online.

Any tips?

$this->toCD-R(LP); vinyl-junkie's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your phpMyAdmin window must be slightly different than mine because I don't have a "Query Window" button, but I do have one for SQL, which I'm sure is the same thing you're talking about. There are a few other differences on mine too, but the functionality is still the same, I'm sure.

When you are trying to process your gzipped file or whichever one you're using, does your phpMyAdmin panel specify a size limit for that file? Mine does, and it says it can't be larger than 51,200KB. Perhaps you're trying to process a larger chunk of data than phpMyAdmin can handle at one time? Even if it doesn't specify a size limit on the file, it could be a time-out issue.

Try unzipping your file, splitting it into smaller chunks and processing it that way. I've had to do that when first building a database, and it seems to work pretty well for me.

Hope this helps.

<edit>Spelling/grammar corrections. I hate when I hit Send before discovering that.</edit>
    Last edited by vinyl-junkie; Jul 4, 2004 at 09:50.
    Music Around The World - Collecting tips, trade
    and want lists, album reviews, & more
    Showcase your music collection on the Web

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, I tried that. In the past, I've been able to upload one table at a time, but it just isn't working today, for some reason. I was able to upload a table to a different database, with a different webhost. That's what convinced me to make a remote connection from www.badsite.org to www.goodsite.org.

But I think I could make www.badsite.org's database work if I could get away from phpMyAdmin. I just now discovered that Navicat CAN be used online, using something called SHH tunneling - but that sounds like another can of worms to tackle.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aw, now phpMyAdmin isn't that bad. Compared to other php administration tools I've used, I think it's wonderful, but that's just my opinion.

You didn't mention in your original post making a remote connection from one site to another. I've found that not all Web hosts allow that. Could be the source of your problem.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vinyl-junkie
    Aw, now phpMyAdmin isn't that bad. Compared to other php administration tools I've used, I think it's wonderful, but that's just my opinion.

You didn't mention in your original post making a remote connection from one site to another. I've found that not all Web hosts allow that. Could be the source of your problem.
    I'm figuring this out as I go along, learning more all the time, but also running into more questions. My favorite webhost - www.goodsite.org - confirmed that she allows clients to make remote connections from other sites to goodsite.org. But would I also have to get permission to add an OUTGOING remote connection to badsite.org? I haven't been able to get a hold of badsite.org's webmaster this weekend, probably due to the holiday.

PhpMyAdmin is getting better as I learn more about it. But I've had to use two or three other programs at various stages to get up and running. I love Navicat because I can import csv files very easily, and if there are errors, it shows me where they are. I was trying to import csv files with phpMyAdmin today, and I finally gave up in despair.

I'm in Seattle, too. Looking forward to watching the fireworks at Gasworks Park before I get back to work on this mega project.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've never thought about it, but I would guess that an outgoing remote connection wouldn't be of concern to a Web host. It's the incoming that I would personally worry about.

If you'd like a really neat tool to convert a CSV file to MySQL, there's a free one here that works great.

p.s. - You're a glutton for punishment to go to Gasworks Park on the 4th of July! Too crowded for me.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vinyl-junkie
    I've never thought about it, but I would guess that an outgoing remote connection wouldn't be of concern to a Web host. It's the incoming that I would personally worry about.

If you'd like a really neat tool to convert a CSV file to MySQL, there's a free one here that works great.

p.s. - You're a glutton for punishment to go to Gasworks Park on the 4th of July! Too crowded for me.
    Hmmmmm... Do you have another URL for that CSV file conversion tool. I can't access CodeWalkers. We got into an argument about a certain software company, and they banned me! They apparently rigged an Apache .htaccess file, or whatever it's called, so I can't even access their website It was the weirdest thing I've ever seen.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just sent you a PM with a link to an alternate place to download this.