SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ... /var/lib/mysql.sock (111)

Judging from the amount of hist I got on Yahoo when I searched for that error, I came to the realization that this is a fairly common problem. However I've had no luck in fixing it.

Mysql was downloaded as an RPM to work with a working PHP/Apache server. The installation was clean, no failures. I noted that there is not a mysql.sock anywhere on the linux machine.

Help?

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The mysql daemon may not have been started - maybe a Linux guru can post how to do it

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I spent over an hour pouring over the archives looking for a cure to this problem.

I tried:

- rebooting the machine (RedHat 7.0)
    - running mysql_install_db (no errors, but didn't fix sock problem)
    - running mysqld & (Fatal error: Please read Security section of the manual to find out how to __ mysqld as root)
    - running mysql start (Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/lib/mysql.sock' (111)

There was no mysql.sock in the /var/lib/mysql.sock or /tmp* directories.

Using find /[directory] -name "*.sock" (no returns)
    Using locate mysql.sock (no returns)

Noone seemed to know what the cause of this is, so I chose to uninstall mysql & php and start from scratch. I'm still using mysql RPMS (v3.23), but this time I compiled php from source. I'm still working on that right now.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know this is an old thread but I have basically started down the same path as you mstembri. I can't find any sock files on the machine (RH 7.0).

At least you have saved me the trouble of trying the other stuff.

Can anyone tell me if the mysql.sock file is generated at install or simply extracted. If compiled then I'm in trouble. If extracted, can I get a copy anywhere.

Any helpers will be provided with huge financial rewards as soon as I am hugely financial.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Probably not what you want to hear right now, but I ended up wiping the drive and starting over.

I first installed 7.0 with server options.

After that is working I then installed the following packages:

MySQL-3.23.38-1.i386
    MySQL-client-3.23.38-1.i386
    MySQL-shared-3.23.38-1.i386
    php-4.0.5-2.arvin.i586
    expat-1.95.1-3k.i586
    ld.so-1.9.5-13.i386
    libc-5.3.12-31.i386
    php-mysql-4.0.5-2.arvin.i586
    mod_php-4.0.5-2.arvin.i586

That is the order in which I installed them if I recall correctly (trying to install php-mysql... without xpat, libc and ld generated dependancy errors).

Hopefully that will get you going.
    - Mike
    http://www.georgiaoffroad.com

********* Callithumpian silver trophy freakysid's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The mysql.sock file is a temporary file. It is the mysql daemon (aka socket) - which means it is the program that listens on your TCP port (usually 3360 or is it 3306?) for incoming requests to the MySQL server. So in order for there to be a mysql.sock file present in the /tmp directory, the mysql server needs to be running. You can either set up your system so that the mysql server starts at bootup and stops at shutdown, and/or you can manually start/stop the server yourself.

Your best bet is to read your way through the manual starting around 2.16 which takes up the story once you have installed MySQL http://www.mysql.com/doc/P/o/Post-installation.html

Another suggestion is to use Webmin http://www.webmin.com/webmin/ Which provedes a web interface to all the main webserver services running on your linux box, such as the Apache server, mysql, bind8, etc, etc. It is easily installed from RPM.
    Last edited by freakysid; Jul 30, 2001 at 08:32.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks for the quick responses - This has been my first post

Wiping the drive is not attractive right now - its a 5 disk raid and I am still getting used to daylight from the last time I did that.

I nosed around after reading all the posts and did find the problem -SELF CREATED !- I had a script start the mysql daemon and left the d off ./mysqld!!!!!! Cause its at boot up I never saw it and cause it worked yesterday on install, I wasn't checking it.

lesson learn't (in the words of Indigo) - go back to the begining.

Thanks again.

********* Callithumpian silver trophy freakysid's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, one other thing. The very first time I installed everything onto Linux - I simply downloaded the nusphere bundle from www.nusphere.com and it automated the installation of Apache, PHP, MySQL, Webmin, phpMyAdmin. All painless. The only thing that I would advise is before installing Nusphere, uninstall from RPM Apache and MySQL if you installed them when you set up your system - otherwise you will have a bit of a messy system. Anyway, read the all the installation instructions first!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the tip (the turnaround on postings is amazing
    I started this whole trip using the PHPTriad download from www.PHPGeek.com[URL=http://www.PHPGeek.com] a while ago which has been great for my win machine. BUT as you can see from above, I didn't learn much from that experience, so I thought I'd take the high road and compile apache, mysql, ssl, and PHP all from source.
    I think it all finally works -

Scotty