SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

looking for stats on db usage

I have to design a pretty large application ( for the sake of #'s lets just say we want to have at least 100 million records in one table ).

So I am trying to find out what the largest most powerful sites on the net are using and stats like how many queries per time period or things like that are being executed. Just a few things to include in my recommendations. From what I see there is 3 major: mysql, oracle and SQL server or whatever higher level MS solution we have there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I know from the homepage that NASA, Google, and Yahoo use mysql, which is what I have been using for years, and it blows my mind on a daily basis how fast it is. I've never worked with a hugely immense db, but even in the million records results are returned instantly, if the tables are indexed correctly, depending on the query of course.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://www.mysql.com/it-resources/case-studies/

.. the associated press .. etc. Your right. I just sent my clients this page and a short .. "dont worry about it look who uses this " message. The decision will be reached shortly. Thanks for the input.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I asked a similar question earlier and here is the response I got. There are quite a few responses so you can take all the information from all these smart people and come to your own conclusions.

http://www.sitepoint.com/forums/showthread.php?t=168888

Take 30 mins to read through it. You will learn a lot.

Matt

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks. But so far its just one person saying ones better than the other .. .. I will keep reading to page 2.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After three pages of that forum thread, I have to say I learned more reading the link I posted. No one offered much facts. All I saw in mine is that MySQL is behind Yahoo, Google, Cox Communications, AP wire .. etc.

BUT everyone in that thread keeps saying how poor mySQL is for large applications. I would consider all of the above .. especially google and yahoo to be pretty major wouldn't you say?