SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know HTML and the basics of PHP, SQL, and Javascript, so I would like to use any of them if possible:

I need to somehow make a section of my webpage autoupdate itself without refreshing the rest of the page. The page should be at http://ethersoft.cjb.net:82/dynamicindex/cam0vo.html if my webserver is up. Anyway, you can see at the bottom two sections - "GAME: XXXXX" and "SKILL: XXXXX". What I want to do is change those values on my computer and have them automatically change on the user's webpage without them manually refreshing. i considered combining the meta tag "REFRESH" and the PHP "204 error" method, but I don't know how to change the test on the page with that.

Come to think of it, that part of my webpage is hosted on with a different webserver than the rest of my page, and does not have PHP enabled. I could probably get it to work, but I'd rather not have to.

Thanks!
    NaRF!

A home in the hills where the grass grows green an
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you wanted to use meta refresh, you could put the information you want refreshed in an iframe and then have just that page refresh, without loading the whole page. I use that technique on one of my sites http://www.jaggedknife.com to update server information.
    Think beyond what is common...
    www.jaggedknife.com
    www.fusion-in.com

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah, much thanks. After learning what an iframe is and learning how to make one, I tried it and it worked perfectly.
    NaRF!

A home in the hills where the grass grows green an
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad I could help...just be aware that iframes do not work in older browsers, they will just display nothing, so make sure you have a <noframes> tag with a link to the information if you are worried about such things.
    Think beyond what is common...
    www.jaggedknife.com
    www.fusion-in.com

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i figure that would be kind of useless. It's a big java applet with an iframe underneath it. If they have an older browser, they just won't get a webpage.
    NaRF!