SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use icq the most but I have all three beauce I need to contact people that don't have icq (they are going to hell ).
    Anyway what ones do you use?
    http://www.hostinquiry.com
    Look up your host today!
    ----------------------------
    ~Dylan Schiedel

will code HTML for food Michel V's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ICQ and AIM.
    Although i hardly give my AIM screen-name. I dislike the lack of privacy with AIM, as long as you know someone's screen-name you know when he/she is online. This is insane and scary.
    At least with ICQ you can decide who you'll allow to add you to their list and you keep track of who actually added you.
    [blogger: zengun] [blogware contributor: wordpress]

Serial Publisher silver trophy aspen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use AIM via AOL - I can block people from knowing when I'm online - maybe thats only if you have aol though.

I don't like ICQ - its too bulky for me - I want a simple program.
    Chris Beasley - I publish content and ecommerce sites.
    Featured Article: Free Comprehensive SEO Guide
    My Guide to Building a Successful Website
    My Blog|My Webmaster Forums

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    it depends, i use all 3 i can say aim is the worst by far its just really annoying i dont know why. icq and msn have advantages and disadvantages i use msn more because its faster, you know if someone adds you to there list. icq has lots of features maybe to many i find it hard to change my details because there are like 300 menus. but its handy the way you can send a off-line msg ,msn has that but its a e-mail you send which is a lot slower ( page to come up and load and sending msg)
    Back Again

Skills to Pay the Bills Sparkie's Avatar
    A cave with 47 computers and an internet feed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have MSN, ICQ and AIM and I like MSN the most.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ICQ is the most complete IM program. AIM, MSN IM and Y! IM are considered to be 'chat' programs rather than IM programs, because these last don't do much more than any IRC chatroom can do.

Unfortunately ICQ is known as bloated program which doesn't have to be. In the latest release they made it possible to select which toolbars are shown on the interface and which not, but you can still take advantage of all the good things in the 'Advanced' mode like SMS messages and so on.

ICQ is the perfect internet communications studio as it let's you also send and receive mails. Though this last thing is only partly true. Therefore it can be integrated in MS Outlook.

Additionally the last version has become pretty stable as it has never crashed on my system and you can count me as heavy user.

ICQ - www.icq.com

[disclaimer: ICQ/Mirabilis/AOL have not hired me for this post. This post is solely based on my opinion]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't like msn it always pops up even though I close it. it just keeps popping up so I deleted it.
    http://www.hostinquiry.com
    Look up your host today!
    ----------------------------
    ~Dylan Schiedel

Misfit
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like ICQ best. It allows me to choose when I want to view a message, without just popping it up on the screen like AIM. What else can I say? ICQ is just 'leet

Ex-SitePointer silver trophy
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use Yahoo! Messenger, AOL Instant Messenger, ICQ and MSN Messenger.

My opinion on all of them is always changing. But, right now I'd rank them:

1. AOL Instant Mesenger - Loads quickly, many people on it.
    2. Yahoo! Messenger - Loads pretty quickly and I just like it.
    3. MSN - Its not all that bad.
    4. ICQ - Loads slowly, more slow them other messengers, but also everyone is on it so I gotta have it.

will code HTML for food Michel V's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe that's just me but recently i had no box to type my words in icq windows...
    I've got to make a screenshot and show you, there's an enormous empty block then the window with the chat (without scrollbars) and then nothing below. When i type some text and hit tab it gets sent though. But sometimes i type tab one extra time and all i have to do is hit it alternatively with a text key to hear bips until i'm tabbed on the right place and can enter text again.
    Everytime an chat window pops up it's getting bigger and bigger, and i have to close it regularly if i want to chat longer because i can't scroll the text.

I'm using ICQ 2000b on win2k, and i heard AOL is currently implementing huge banner ads on chat windows. Would that be the cause ?
    [blogger: zengun] [blogware contributor: wordpress]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Free SMS on icq 2000b is an absolute bonus :O)

Although there are lots of bugs (especially with the history on the message window), and idiosyncrasies; the fact that the apply button in the options dialogue closes the window is a huge crime against usable GUI design.
    Drinky

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i ended up tracking down anold version of icq (ver. 98a) and i like it alot.

true it's not that fancy with things like sms messaging and stuff, but how many options do you really need?

all i use it for is to basically communicate faster than regular email.

i hate aim. i also hate that it automatically gets installed with netscape. i had to go into the windows registry and remove all references to aol and aim bec it was taking over too many things.

yahoo and msn messengers - simple but efficient i think.

what more do people want these programs to do for them anyway? they're just for instant messaging. they're not going to wake up early and make you breakfast in the morning
    . . . chris

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use MSN, ICQ, and AIM. I use AIM most because all of my friends are on it. None of them have ever heard of ICQ or anythign and they're too computer illiterate to know how to get it and set it up. MSN seems cool but I only have 3 people on my contact list so I don't use it as often. And ICQ has just way too many features for me plus I only know a dozen or so people on it. I know they're more but these people also have AIM.
    -Wedge231 chris@c-wod.com

AIM: chriswodman593 | ICQ: 37230642 | MSN: chriswodman@hotmail.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I've used ICQ for years now because of all the great options. I finally got aim just because most of my 'real' friends don't have icq. Most of the time during work though I just have my aim up because as soon as my icq is online it blows up...
    ~ heather
    -----------------------------------
    sweetjunglist@hotmail.com
    http://www.junglist.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have had AIM the longest and I use it the most. I downloaded ICQ but I don't use it because the few times I have opened it it has been much too comlicated. It looks extremely complicated compared to the easy interface of AIM that I am used to. I guess I should open ICQ and look around for a few minutes and get used to it sometime...
    -Nick

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes. ICQ is fairly intimiadating. I've had it for over a year now and I still don't understand it as well as AIM. Then again, I'm on it so much less. I'm on AIM whenever I'm online and I only go on ICQ maybe several times a week.
    -Wedge231 chris@c-wod.com

AIM: chriswodman593 | ICQ: 37230642 | MSN: chriswodman@hotmail.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like MSN most. Simply because I use hotmail and to checkmails a bit easier. I also use ICQ sometimes but not much. I don't use AIM by the way.

Fluffy Kitten Programmer~ Elledan's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use ICQ 2000b on Windows and LICQ on Linux

for the smaller chat programs, I use JabberIM, which can combine ICQ, MSN, AIM and Yahoo! messenger in one program.

http://www.jabber.org

I always despised the interface of AIM and MSN, that's why I don't use them anymore: the GUI of JabberIM is way better
    www.nyanko.ws - My web-, software- and game development company.
    www.mayaposch.com - My personal site and blog.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ICQ 2000B. Can't say I use all the features (several have no real use), but anything is better than some things on AIM like that horrible ad banner, stupid AOL people are on there and they can be annoying, the "warn" feature on AIM serves no purpose and is just plan an annoyance, and I dislike how the IM windows pop right up in the middle of your screen when you're busy, whereas ICQ's sit in the taskbar.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use Yahoo IM, ICQ, and AIM. I probably use Yahoo and ICQ the most.

Did you know that ICQ is owned by AOL? I thought that was pretty funny.
    Jim Lewis
    To BE or Not to BE, or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Barium Enema
    FrappyDoo Forums

Almeaty Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have ICQ only because I got used to it and just about everyone uses ICQ here. The cool thing is that the registration is based on numbers not usernames, so I can change my nick at any time... But the clients for Mac are not that good and I began the work on my own which will just beat any other clients

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like ICQ the best but I have 4 Instant Messengers in all (Yahoo!, AIM, ICQ, MSN)

I only have the other three in case someone i need to contact has them