SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mac IE browser problems with alignment--

Hi--I'm making a webpage at:

http://home.earthlink.net/~nomorabito/index2.html

It appears different on different browsers, Mac, and PC, and on different versions of the same browser.

I use Virtual PC to check it, on the PC side, and it is aligned fine on IE 5.5, and Netscape 7.1 on the PC Side, and Netscape 7.1, on the Mac side.

On the Mac, with IE 5.2, it is aligned right..and on an older Mac OS 8.5, Netscape 4.7, it is really different--stacked, but centered, looking NOTHING as it should.

It is under construction, and I have to make corrections in some of the tabs,and articles, but would appreciate your help..also what font to use, as that shows up different.

Again, I am no programmer, and did this just to get the site up for the tabs, and to help people for free....

PLEASE --tell me how to make it appear the same on ALL browsers, all versions--and thanks so much for all your help!
    BoB!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bob,

I am still in the infancy of Cascading Style Sheets and page layout for the web, but looking at your code the fonts you show to use are Trebuchet MS, Arial, Helvetica. Trebuchet MS is not a standard font on both Mac and PC. If you take that font out of your code and use the Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif, that will help. First the browser will look to see if your computer has Arial and if not will then look for Helvetica and if not will then use a san-serif font you do have.

Hope this helps some.

John

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jodmcc
    Bob,

I am still in the infancy of Cascading Style Sheets and page layout for the web, but looking at your code the fonts you show to use are Trebuchet MS, Arial, Helvetica. Trebuchet MS is not a standard font on both Mac and PC. If you take that font out of your code and use the Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif, that will help. First the browser will look to see if your computer has Arial and if not will then look for Helvetica and if not will then use a san-serif font you do have.

Hope this helps some.

John
    Thank you for replying, John--this helps, but the centering problem is the real problem...

Thanks again, John!
    Bob

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You might take a look at the CSS FAQ that is sticked near the top of the CSS Forum. It has some information on centering.

John

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, John and al for your help-I was able to center it, on all browsers--
    Thanks again!
    Bob

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I don't understand exactly what you're trying to fix but to get it centered in the major browsers yuo would do it like this:

Code:
    body {text-align: center;}
    div {text-align: left;}

and for your wrap add this {margin: auto;}
    I strongly recommend you ditch Netscape 4.7 as the browser was not meant to support todays standards and never will. It is probably used by 0.00001% of surfers anyway.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, mstwntd for all your help!
    Bob